1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugh!! Another sick chicken. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srfrgrl, Aug 28, 2014.

1. srfrgrl

srfrgrl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    I have been on here far too much lately for problems i cannot seem to solve. So, now one of my RIRs is very lethargic, won't eat, and looks bloated. I felt around her for any signs and all I feel is some squishiness just under her neck near her chest. Maybe her abdomen is swollen but can't really be sure. She wasn't even interested in meal worms!!! Any ideas? You have all been so wonderful through this truly frustrating and scary time. I am leaving for a backpacking trip tonight for 5 days and my housemate is scared to death that Cinammon (the RIR) is going to die while I am gone and so am I. If you have any suggestions let me know and I will get her the message as well. Wondering if we should separate her from the flock? I might do that for now just to play it safe. Thanks again. You are the best! :)
    Judy

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    This sounds like sour crop..if you or your caretaker friend look at the "sticky" posts at the top of the emergencies etc thread there is a link to "helpful references and links"..click on that and scroll down until you see medications etc..sour crop is amongst the issues discussed..

In essence..

If the crop is full and squishy in the morning..look for symptoms of sour crop...sour crop tends to follow impacted crop..look up symptoms,

Any foul smell in the breath of a chicken with suspected sour crop usually confirms this...chickens need to be relieved of the contents of the crop..this involves putting the chicken at an angle of 60 degrees..for maybe five seconds at a time..massage the crop in an upwards direction and you must then put them into an upright position to alleviate any of the contents getting into the lungs...

Hope this gives you some help...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  3. srfrgrl

Nov 13, 2011
    Thank you! I knew someone would be able to help me. That was exactly what it is!! I read the link on how to treat it naturally, went outside, held her at a 60 degree angle and WHOOSH!! All this nasty smelling liquid vomit came out of her. It was gross but I was so relieved that she wasn't carrying that anymore! I put some yogurt in her dish and some GSE in her water to help with any infection. Keeping my fingers crossed she is okay when I get home. YOu are the best. Thank you again for your help! :)

4. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So happy for you that this was the problem and you have treated her accordingly.trust she will be back to her normal healthy being when you get home again!

Glad to be of assistance!

5. srfrgrl

Nov 13, 2011
    Hi Suzie,
    I am sorry to report that Cinnamon did not make it while I was away. Whether she was too far gone already or my housemate was not doing the right things I will never know. I am very sad and feeling a bit guilty for leaving. I know I could have kept her alive. Not much else I can do at this point but hope none of the other chickens get it. Thank you again for your help. At least I will know what to look for in the future.

6. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So very sorry to hear that Cinnamon didn't make it...you did all that you could to help her..she may have had other health problems that nobody was aware of...don't feel bad about leaving her...sadly these things just happen.

Take care

[​IMG]

7. srfrgrl

Nov 13, 2011
    Thank you for your words of comfort. I am trying to let go as much as I can but I can't help but be super paranoid about my other girls. Every little noise has me going out there to check on them. I've had two die just in August so I am on edge. Hard not to get attached to these little things especially when I raised them from 1 week old chicks. I guess it is a lesson the universe is trying to teach me. :) thank you again for everything. Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by