Ugh...Anyone want a broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaitie09, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Ive got a 4yr old that does not lay anymore, but is continuously broody. I have broken her at least 4 times since spring, and I just walked out there this morning to see her all puffed up and growling again. Shes always a month on, and a month off. I've got her sister broody too, so I think this time I'll just split the eggs and let them both have some.

Do people actually buy hens just for their broodiness? Or will they end up killing them after they stop for the winter?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    I think people will actually buy them for their broodiness. I know I am looking for one, but I'm too far from you! [​IMG]

3. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I'm starting to wonder what the point of having chickens is. They don't lay in the winter half the time and then in the summer they don't because they're too busy being little puff balls.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've purposely collected lots of broody breeds. I finally got a girl to go broody - she's been sitting on eggs a week now. I much prefer to do my hatching under a broody - and the hubby doesn't like the heat lamp. Now watch, next year I'll have a TON of broodies!

5. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm starting to wonder what the point of having chickens is. They don't lay in the winter half the time and then in the summer they don't because they're too busy being little puff balls.

Do you have bantams? Or a standard breed known for broodiness? Mine rarely go broody. They are a mixed flock of dual purpose birds from a hatchery, a few bantams, but mostly standards.​

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine are all standards. Bantams here would be hawk food.

7. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    I also was hunting for a broody for the longest time. I contacted a few people with them, and they wanted somewhere need 50 bucks for a broody hen. Luckily for me, I traded one of my brown egg layers for a buff Brahma who was broody. The chicken was up rooted from her nice quite coop of 5 hens no roosters, driven over half hour in a car, plopped in my bathroom for days, then transplanted to a huge coop with near 30 other hens and 4 roosters. What did she do? SHe nibbled some food, drank some water, then into the coop and onto a nest of eggs she went. She has been there since.[​IMG] Anyways, I am off topic. lol. Lots of people are looking for broody hens. 4 others wanted the particular hen that I got. My point is, it seems a broody is a broody. This one was dipped in cold water several times a day by her previous owner as she was told it cures the broodies, it didn't work. My suggestion is give her some fertile eggs to hatch, or try to trade her for a hen who does lay:) Good luck!!

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Actually, I have both ends of the spectrum.............

Welsummers that almost never go broody and
    Barnevelders that are very prone to going broody.

9. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the main things I have looked for when selecting breeds of heritage chickens is if they tend to go broody. I am raising chicks in a brooder this year, but next year I intend to turn that job over to a broody. I am homesteading and trying to do every part as natural as possible. Speckled Sussex was way down on my wish list, but I have a few in the mail that should be arriving tomorrow, just because they are listed as likely to go broody.

10. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You and I are about the same distance from her, so lets split the gas money to go get her and we can share the broody. South Central PA sounds like it's close to Breezewood, and I can make that trip with my eyes closed! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by