Ugh at my female dog, just ugh

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicks & Turks, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Chicks & Turks

Chicks & Turks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    A little rant, a couple questions.

My little terrier mix went into heat Friday evening. Great. I was getting her spayed in October, now trying to get it done earlier. She is over a year old, and we never had an issue, just put on her britches and go, but now we have an unaltered male in the house. He's 4 months old. Our vet said he may be old enough, he may not. So now I have to sleep without my little male tonight! My brother took him to his house because Boo is only 5 pounds and he's 15-20, shes just tooooo little and I dont want mutt puppies anyway. I procrastinated and this is what I get.

Do you think he could do anything, I dont know if there is a way to tell or not?

How long does a heat last and when will she stop accepting the male? She's a day 3-4 now I think.

Any advice, she's annoying right now, she's lovey to start and now is just insane!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Next time do it sooner. Sorry, that's all I got, fix them before they get to this stage.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It can last up to 21 days.

4. Chicks & Turks

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I wanted to, but arguing with my mother that no she wouldn't make cute puppies and then raising the money since she wanted to breed her, I didn't, meant that I would have to pay to spay her. She is such a sweet dog, I'd hate to have to have her put down because I couldn't afford a c section for the puppies or something. I just can't handle to stress of puppies. So until I can get her fixed, just bear down I guess.

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Ditto....why were you waiting til October? Any particular reason, b/c of her heat cycle etc? Yes your male could possibly do something but generally it's around 6 mos. You should get him neutered as well , the younger the better, or he will be driving you nuts as well. LOL [​IMG] Heat cycles can last about 3 weeks. [​IMG]

6. Chicks & Turks

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    I was trying to get them both done at the same time. I wasn't expecting her to be in heat yet, it's only been 4 months since her last season. called the vet yesterday and next Tuesday is the earliest opening. I know this vet, so hoping I can stick it out, if not I'll look into other vets.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

My vet will not spay a dog that is in heat unless it is an emergency situation. When in heat there is increased blood flow and a greater danger to the health of the dog. He recommends a month wait after the heat cycle is over to be safe.

8. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    Quote:What she said! My vet says the same - it's too risky. You need to wait four weeks after her season ends.

9. Chicks & Turks

Sep 6, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    My brother took the male and she has on her britches, so all is well.

10. Felicia

Felicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Michigan
    If its not safe for you to get your female spayed, why not go ahead and get your male neutered. That way you can have him back home after however long your vet says he can no longer reproduce (making sure all the testosterone and sperm is gone) and then just spay her when it is safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by