UGH! Back Yard Dog Breeders

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kickinchicken, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My 17 year old daughter and her boyfriend have been calling breeders of ill repute for a Pomeranian. I have spoken with 2 of these LOSERS on the phone and have asked very educated and well-thought out, not grump in any way, questions on genetic testing that they do, the lineage of the parents, whether they breed for show or pet and so on. The first woman, while a complete useless backyard, border-line puppy mill breeder, was polite and we ended the conversation nicely.
    The second woman said that she didn't call my daughter back to be grilled about her dogs and that I really had no business asking her any questions about her dogs. [​IMG] I explained that I am avidly involved in Labrador rescue, am a former vet assistant and that I am a pet sitter & dog walker-I know all and see all. I also explained that I felt that a reputable breeder would welcome such questions and would have the answers that I was looking for, such as being a breeder that tests the parents and grandparents prior to breeding and that she should have a successful lineage of dogs free from know genetic concerns that Poms are known for. She was so clueless and kept saying that she was a reputable breeder yet she did NOT show her dogs, and did NO TESTING whatsoever! Um, can we say backyard breeder? I said thanks but my daughter won't be interested in your line of dogs. [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Not everyone feels the need to test their dogs. Its their animals and their choice... and its your choice to not buy them. I'm sure she'll still sell out of her pups.. either way..
    Now..i can see if the breeder KNEW that her line had something bad in them... then she SHOULD be a good enough person and not breed those dogs anymore anyways,... If you breed a dog and you know that it has genetic problems.. then you are a looser, sicko creep. IMO
    but if she has had no problems with her dogs genetics.. then why should she have to have them tested?
    I know what you'll say... i know...

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    This breed of dog is known for luxating patellas, I take care of 2 Poms that have this defect and its painful for the dog. If you are breeding pedigree dogs, you cannot call yourself REPUTABLE unless you test, plain and simple. Otherwise you are a back yard breeder. I work with rescue dogs and I am sick of people breeding for profit. Not testing your dogs is selfish. My daughter obviously just went online and started contacting whomever came up on Google for Pom breeders. She does stuff like this as teenagers would. I told her she can't bring another dog into this house until I see the dog and speak with the breeder, because guess who will pay the vet bills? Me.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, folks. In our experience, these type threads never end well. Best that we don't even get started today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by