Ugh, bloody wing.

veronicasmom

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Ok, between traveling and computer issues, I have been MIA for a while. I thought this am that after I did all the barn chores I would come in and catch up on the posts here.
BUT Miss Valora has another idea of what I should do. I went out a bit ago and noticed her wing is all bloody. She is my duck with bad angel wing (adopted her after it was too late to do anything about it). She's been molting and wing feathers. I am not sure what to do right now though.
It looks like either someone or something pulled out some feathers, but I see no bloody feathers lying around. Maybe she caught it on something. The pool has ice covering it this am, have not put the heater in yet. I broke up the ice and I saw one duck in it this am, maybe she got in it and the ice shards cut her? She rarely goes in it, but occasionally I see her paddling around (she's a Muscovy). She is alert, active and acting perfectly normal. She does not seem as if the wing is bothering her.
So, do I just leave her alone? I am alone here till later this evening when hubby gets home. I can't really examine her alone, she HATES being handled. Do I HAVE to rush to the vet? If not and we just clean it when he gets home what can I use on it? Just checked and my Blue Kote expired. Grr.
Any help is appreciated.

when a blood feather breaks or is pulled they make a crazy mess. if she isnt actively bleeding and will let you clean her up thats about all you need to do. our juv scovy will grab each others wings and tug hard creating lovely messes.

Okay, phew. Thanks. Will grab her when I have another pair of hands to help. But no, she is not currently bleeding.

You need to watch those blood feathers..they can bleed out if its broken in the right way..:(
But most likely she got cut on the sharp ice..gotta watch that in the winter time...last winter one of my sebbies cut her bill on the ice..:(
Aldo make sure there is no big wound that you'll need to treat..
Good luck!

The first thing that came to my mind was styptic, or cornstarch to staunch bleeding. But if she's not dripping now, that would just aggravate her, I am sure.

hugs.gif

You getting weather yet? The nor'easter is here in Southern New England.

The first thing that came to my mind was styptic, or cornstarch to staunch bleeding. But if she's not dripping now, that would just aggravate her, I am sure.

hugs.gif

You getting weather yet? The nor'easter is here in Southern New England.
Haven't got it here yet Amiga, but it won't be long now I'm sure. Rain? Sleet?

Celtic Oaks, she rarely gets into the pool. So, I don't want to throw her in and aggravate her.
I am going to make a weak mixture of betadine and wash it out when my husband comes home. It didn't seem to bleed a lot. She is snow white and it probably looks like worse than it is, but it shocked me.
Amiga, no storm here in Southern Maine.......yet. I am not looking forward to it starting. Blech. Hope poor NJ and NY don't get it too bad during this one. There was someone on here from Tom's River, NJ, wonder how they are doing. It is beyond a mess down there.

Back
Top Bottom