Ugh! Broody!

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hey
I have a silkie hen(well 2).
One is about 6 months and started laying a few weeks ago. There is no roo here. There is a small fake egg in the nest box. Today, she was sitting on the nest, on the egg, trying to make it hatch. She nipped my hand and made the broody hen noises. Of course I took the egg out. So, is this normal at all? WHen will she start laying?
Thanks!
smile.png

For Silkies, it's VERY NORMAL! LOL If you don't want her to sit, take out the fake egg...and she'll not lay if she's broody...if you want to break the broodiness--the best way I've found for my cochins is to put them in a wire cage with food & water & no nest or nesting material...

Well they lay in the coop, with is a hutch with wire florring with bedding in one corner(they refuse to lay in the nest box
barnie.gif
)
I will go remove the bedding. But I think my other hen is trying to lay too. Will she be fine?

My silkie almost always will be sitting on her egg when I come to collect. Plus the other girls eggs too if they all lay in the same spot. I just reach under her and get the egg and she goes back to her normal routine.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom