Ugh bummer!!edited to add really cute chickie pictures!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iplsmama, Jan 23, 2011.

1. iplsmama

iplsmama Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Well, turns out I had the floor of my kids new Brinsea Mini Advance incubator on wrong so the eggs we have been incubating for 3 wks never turned properly!!! Of course, I knew it didn't seem right but I just assumed since it was automatic that maybe spinning around was enough turning. Ugh, I hate that I didn't look it up before we set up. Why oh why do the pictures not show the ridges pointing up!!! I have looked all over the internet and have only seen a pic of it set up properly ONCE!! The miracle is we have one chick out of its shell and one other one pipped. Unfortunately the pipped one has been like that for over 24 hrs. Now I am fighting the urge to help it. It is most of the time just sitting there with its beak out of the hole. Then it struggles and peeps but it looks like it can't move around very well in there. How is it that my unturned eggs developed?? Isn't that crazy?? I wonder if I will have anymore though now. We candled them every couple of days after the first wk so they all developed until we could no longer see inside them (weak flashlight). Well, what do you think? Should I help her? Or let nature take its course?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. bordergurl

bordergurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2010
    Niagara Region
    No the picture doesn't show it, but on page 3, quick reference, it says.....ribbed side up.

The manual is less than ideal. For example, I messed up the turning angle on the mini advance. The picture on pg 11 shows a jumbo sized egg with a turning angle 10. I noticed that my X's and O's barely rotated so I posted to BYC, and a peep told me she uses Angle 15 for chicken eggs. It rotates them beautifully, except for the elongated one! Learning process- I just set my eggs Friday night so I don't think it will effect anything.

BYC is great for helping us newbies at incubating.

3. iplsmama

iplsmama Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Yeah, the manual acts like 10 is the max you will ever need! And I remember that ribbed side up thing but I just didn't think of those as "ribs" and the picture doesn't show that side up! Why would they do that to me??? I am a little worried I am only going to have one baby make it through this. Poor baby, it will be so lonely!!

4. bordergurl

Oct 26, 2010
    Niagara Region
    Good luck with the rest of them. Keep posting! Not sure what to do with only one chick???

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG]

I got a Brinsea Mini Advanced two days ago and I've got eggs coming this week. I still haven't figured out how to work the silly thing!

6. bordergurl

Oct 26, 2010
    Niagara Region
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

[​IMG]

I got a Brinsea Mini Advanced two days ago and I've got eggs coming this week. I still haven't figured out how to work the silly thing!

Actually it's not too silly - it's pretty simple but read the guide as only a guide! What we've learned:

Egg turner goes ribbed side up. Cut yourself a hatching pad before you set your eggs so you can use the turner as a pattern.
    Chicken eggs try angle 15, I turn every 45 minutes.
    You can switch the temp to Farenheit (I'm a Canuck so use Celsius)

Mostly I used the factory settings....​

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Actually it's not too silly - it's pretty simple but read the guide as only a guide! What we've learned:

Egg turner goes ribbed side up. Cut yourself a hatching pad before you set your eggs so you can use the turner as a pattern.
    Chicken eggs try angle 15, I turn every 45 minutes.
    You can switch the temp to Farenheit (I'm a Canuck so use Celsius)

Mostly I used the factory settings....

Thanks for the info - [​IMG]

What is angle #15? Is it a setting?

8. bordergurl

Oct 26, 2010
    Niagara Region
    On page 11 ) 10 Egg Turning
    Shows egg sizes (diameter) of Angle 4 to Angle 10. You can actually set higher. Advice received from byc peeps was angle 15 for chicken eggs- works great. I have x's & o's marked ono's wi my (chicken) eggs, and the turning angle set to 15 rotates them beautifully. Currently all my x's are now showing, and next turn my o's will. Only my elongated egg is slightly off, but its rotating to its own drummer.

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:They will develop just fine without turning, but can become "grown" into or attached to the shell. Also, it can cause some deformities...don't beat yourself up! I won't even go into all the mistakes I made my first couple of times...

Hopefully all will be well and now you know what to change the next time...and I would wager a bet that there will be a next time [​IMG]

Good luck and keep us updated!

If there are no more pipped yet, and only the struggling one is the one pipped, maybe you can quickly grab that ONE out, spritz warm water in the bator to re-humidify the others and carefully chip away at the shell...if it bleeds, STOP and return it to the bator! Many might disagree with my call on doing this, but this is what I would honestly do...

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

BigDaddy'sGurl :

If there are no more pipped yet, and only the struggling one is the one pipped, maybe you can quickly grab that ONE out, spritz warm water in the bator to re-humidify the others and carefully chip away at the shell...if it bleeds, STOP and return it to the bator! Many might disagree with my call on doing this, but this is what I would honestly do...

I would do the same..... but only because I've hatched a few times and am more confident about many of the intricacies of incubation!

The other thing I'd do is have a cup of hot water (it will cool enough as you do this) and some Q-tips. Once you have the pipped egg in your JUST WASHED & CLEANED hands, dip a Q-tip into the water and when you chip VERY carefully at a very tiny bit of shell, have the wet applicator ready to put warm water on any dried membrane you see. If the membrane is really dry, you just keep dabbing the Q-tip on sections to soften it up.

And if you see ANY bleeding, stop immediately and put the egg back into the incubator, as BigDaddy'sGurl said. You can try again a couple of hours later.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by