Ugh. Can chickens go stir crazy?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sixlittlechicks09, Feb 7, 2011.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone. So some sad news while I'm here at school. My mom facebooked me and told me that our big EE rooster is beating up on our hens (banties, RIRs, BO)and that the EE hens are joining him. She also said the bigger hens aren't letting my little Cochin Frizzle eat, and they've been holding her down in the mud and pecking her. I don't know what to do. I'm not home, so I'm not seeing the problem for myself, and I'm a little wary, my dad is obsessed with the notion that because we have more than one breed of chicken, they can't get along. [​IMG] He's tried to get rid of my EE Roo and Hens before because he thinks their "Stupid looking" and quite frankly just doesn't like them. But my mom is saying my Cochin is pretty thin. Is it possible that my hens and roos (I have two) are going stir crazy? Most of their run is covered in snow, and they don't go out in it very often? During the summer and spring and fall they all got along very well, it's just recent that they've started fighting. Any advice? I hate to butcher the Roo, he's such a pretty boy. Thanks guys!

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

My flock has shown signs of going stir-crazy.

You can try putting things in the coop to keep them occupied, such as a cabbage on a string. You might also try isolating bullies.

As for rooster aggression , you really need to keep at it day after day. Haze him a little to make him back down and be #2 roo.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes they can get bored if cooped up too much (pardon the pun).
    I would try putting some hay or straw down in your run to encourage them to be out more. Or shovel the snow in their run, if there's room enough in there for a human.
    More than one feeder is always a good idea, even if you don't have that many chickens! Chickens can be bullies. They can starve out a lower ranking member.

Also, I hate to give a youngin' ammunition for arguing with their parent, but I have a flock in one coop that consists of EEs, turkens, silkies, speckled sussex, salmon faverolles and meat birds and they all get along. A chicken is a chicken.

4. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:Haha! Exactly, that's what I've been trying to tell him!

It's just so frustrating, I feel like when I'm home things run so much more smoothly. I make sure to get down there everyday with some kind of treat, or plaything, something. And it's so much easier to show the roos who is boss (dad thinks 'dominating' chickens is nonsense). But when I'm not home they're just like, Fill up the feeders, collect the eggs. Chicken's being bad? Lop his head off. [​IMG] I guess it's just how the dear parents grew up. [​IMG]
    But thanks, maybe I can convince them to let my big boy stay at least until spring break. Then maybe I can figure out something to do with him.

The more than one feeder idea is also really helpful, thanks! I didn't realize they could starve out the lower ranking hens. (And boy do we have some bossy hens) I'll get my mom to give that a go, hopefully it cuts back some of the bullying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by