UGH. chickens are eating dog poop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Trishkabob, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Trishkabob

Trishkabob Songster

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    We've had chickens for about 8 yrs. and this is a new one to me. But our girls were not to be deterred yesterday until the offending snack was removed. Thing is, we live in the country with land and our dog is pretty free range herself. I never gave it a thought chicken-wise. Until yesterday. Anyone else or are our chickens peculiar?

m1chelle1 likes this.
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Mine are too!Its the old dry ones.Someone told me it must be something undigested or some nutrients in it they want,because my dogs are all fre range on twelve acres.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Fortunately, the dog does his business away from the chickens. Mine sure love the horse poop, though.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Hatchaolic

May 22, 2013
    The Volunteer State
    My Coop
    I have never had this problem, if my chickens see ANY kind of poop they'll just shake their heads at it. I have had dogs that eat cat poo, but my chickens won't touch poop.

5. Nardo

Nardo Crowing

Sep 26, 2014
    North Texas
    My Coop
    Yep, it's one big recycle thing here. Dogs eat chicken poop - chickens eat dog poop. Dogs eat cat poop - cats eat. . .uh. . .not sure.
    Ew. Just saying. :idunno

ChxLadyCass likes this.
  6. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Ive read in many threads that feeding chickens cow pies is a main source of diet for the little guys in certain areas of the country. Supposed to be really healthy. But I don't know how well that would compare to dog poo. Seems to me dog poo is prob not as great for them...but im not expert so who knows! :idunno:caf

~M

7. Trishkabob

Trishkabob Songster

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    yeah-Nardo-we did laugh about the circle of (gross) life-dog eats chicken poop, chickens eat dog poop. except when we get into that circle-eating the eggs -it makes breakfast a little less delicious. I'm hoping it isn't bad for them in terms of illness, parasites, etc.
    They seem fine. It's a jungle out there...

Nardo likes this.
  8. Hensndoes

Hensndoes Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    Yup. My chickens eat the goat poop and my dog eats the chicken poop.

9. ChxLadyCass

ChxLadyCass Songster

Mar 2, 2017
    La Junta, CO
    Yep my dog's favorite snacks are chicken poop and dead mice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: