ugh, chicks not going back in coop at night.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daniel-delarosa, Feb 8, 2012.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    I opened the door to the world to my 8 week old chicks today. I moved them from the brooder to the coop a week or so ago. I kept the closed for a few days for them to learn where home is. Well, I went out to check on them an hour after dark and found them in the far corner of the run huddled up. I guess I will keep them in lock down a little longer. How long should it take for them to understand that they are supposed to go inside the coop at night?

2. Ted n Ms

Ted n Ms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Go out about an hour before dark and round them up. Drive them into the coop. It want take but a few times and they will learn.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    I kept mine put up in the hen house for a week before I let mine out to the world and and when it started to get dark they go back to the hen house.

4. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    do you have a light in the coop? that will help. you only need it on for a few nights and can turn it off once they are inside.

5. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    A light will help a LOT....they don't really want to be in the dark, so will go where its lightest as dusk falls. If the inside of their coop is darker than outside, they will huddle outside. You can train them to go inside regardless, but with young chicks the whole thing will be easier for everyone by giving them some light inside. Even a 15 watt bulb would work.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Seminole, Oklahoma
    Ya, I have a light in the coop. its a 150 watt so it is plenty bright, maybe too bright.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It usually takes a week or so of rounding them up before dark before they figure it out and go in on their own. Just be persistent and they will figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by