UGH - Cock-A-Doodle-DO

lunkerchicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
So sad - my 16 week old EE started crowing 2 weeks ago. At first, I was being hopeful and thought it was a pullet attempting to be a Roo, but over the past 2 weeks, my EE has developed quite a little crow. Now what????? Neighbors are not going to dig this!!! For now, I lock the coop door and let them out just before I go to work at 7AM - at least he is not alerting the neighbors at 5:30!!!
idunno.gif

My neighbors are far enough away that the crowing doesn't both them, just my wife. I think the crowing is music, along with two stroke engines running at peck R's.

Did you hatch them or buy them as chicks/point of lay?
If you bought him as a sexed pullet then you can probably go back to the store and tell them he turned out to be a boy and get a replacement and they'll rehome him or... well...
At least if you think you will have trouble and need to rehome him it is an option if you bought him thinking he was a girl.

Your little roo is probably going to start crowing more and more. He may also become more aggressive so be prepared for that. If you would like to consider keeping him, and you have close neighbors, I would go around to all the closest ones and see if he is a problem. Some on here will say do what you want, but if you live in a non-rural neighborhood it is the neighborly thing to do. Out of 4 chicks I had, 3 were roos--two went to the neighbor to butcher and eat, one I found a good home for on craigslist (i hope!
fl.gif
), it was a very sad time
hit.gif

half of my chicks I bought turned out to be roos! I rehomed most of them and kept the polish. He has been aggressive, but I have been getting him back so he avoids me. I got my chicks at a hatchery. I won't be going back.

Can you keep roosters where you live? My EE Rooster is really nice and Pretty. I love it when he crows, I tell he," YA I know You Are tough." He is grat with the Hens an has never attacked anyone.

early morning,a john deere running off at a distance,thump,,thump,,thump,a rooster crowing,,,how sweet the sound
old.gif

Quote:
Ain't it the truth!

If you can keep the roo, I would encourage you to do so-I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom