1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugh. Cracked and smelling egg during lockdown. What to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by off-grid hen, Aug 22, 2011.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have the incubator at work. Saturday was the day to take out the turner and add water. One of my coworkers did that. This morning I arrived at work to find a smelling egg that has cracked and weeped, but has stopped weeping. The smell is terrible! Do I take the bator outside and get rid of the cracked egg bc it'll hurt the others or what? Tomorrow is day 21.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I know you are not supposed to open the incubator during lockdown, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I'd very carefully get that egg out of there.

You don't always shrink wrap every chick in the incubator when you open the incubator. It is a risk, but it is not a sure thing. I've done it before but I only shrink wrapped one chick, not all of them. And sometimes none were shrink wrapped.

To minimize the chance of shrink wrapping, keep the incubator open as short a time as possible. I also suggest adding some extra warm water to help get the humidity level back up quickly. Not hot water, warm water. Those incubators are not real good about shedding extra heat so if you add hot water, you can get a temperature spike.

3. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thanks, I'll do it right now. I guess I'll drag the closed bator outside, and keep warm water handy. Thanks, Ridgerunner!

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Very careful I've had those eggs crush in my hands [​IMG]

5. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    You ain't kidding! I already took care of the egg while you were posting this. Thankfully, it didn't break in my hand. LOL. But that is the nastiest thing I have ever smelled in my life. WAY worse than "dead mouse that you can't find".

Blllleeeeeeeck!

6. oh great....... makes me REALLY want to remove an egg that I had weep a little the other day that's under my broody and on day 27. smelled yeuchy, but i am a newbie to the broody and chick thing. not sure what it was/is or what to do with it. I only have 2 eggs under her.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by