Ugh - friend just sent anti-chick article saying they have salmonella

guesswhatchickenbutt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Central FL
A friend of mine thinks us keeping chickens is stupid. Of course. She just sent me this article:

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/SalmonellaBabyBirds/

where it goes on to say that having baby chickens will somehow cause my children to get salmonella and die. The article even says this "Do not let children under 5 years of age handle or touch baby chicks, ducklings, or other young birds. " And my friend knows I have a 3 year old and 5 year old who play with the chicks every day.

It was so nice of her to send it to me and everyone we know saying I should read it because of my new baby chicks.

What sort of facts/stat's can I send back to her proving that not all children who come in contact with chicks will catch salmonella?

I'm just irritated that people are now looking at my three little chicks as potential disease-carrying monsters.
sad.png

HELP!!

I think you should rethink the fact that you call her a friend. I think it is insensitive and insulting that she would send you something like that. Does she really think you are going to get rid of your chickens because of her "facts"!

I also had an Iguana for the first 10 years of my sons life. I heard all of the horror stories as well. Its like you said, common sense, keep the cage and surroundings clean and wash your hands after handling them. Just like we do with our chickens!!!

Just because it was written does not make it true.

Most chicks and chickens never have and never do transmit salmonella.

It's far more common in giant poultry keeping flocks.

Common sense says when she's done playing with any yard animal. Have your daughter wash her hands. Your friend is an idiot, digging up what isn't true to bolster her own opinions.

Not much of a friend. Wander over to the where am I, where are you threads and find a friend INTO chickens and leave the negative behind.

Don't worry. Salmonella is so rare in the home flock you're more likely to get it from commercial products, like dog treats (pig ears) and lately cheap peanut butter products from the GA mill responsible for the huge recall.

I'm not sure this person is a friend. While they can voice their opinion to you, provided you are willing to listen, they shouldn't be sending this article to your friends.

Just keep your brooder clean and require that anyone who touches your chicks wash their hands both before and after handling them (since they could bring a disease TO your chicks, and biosecurity starts now.)

There are plenty of friends who will support your chickens. Stay away from toxic people. They are bad for your soul!
hugs.gif

Thanks guys. You really are the best!
love.gif

We're keeping our brooder clean, but we do all get chicken poop on us. It's a fact of having chicks. My boys are young enough that I can't guarantee they won't get pooped on and then wipe a runny nose, you know? We try to remember to wash hands, but it's easy to forget every now and then. I mean - once the chickens are in the yard when they grow up a bit and the boys pet one, am I going to guarantee they'll run back in the house and wash their hands? I doubt it.

We have dogs and cats - we had ducks before - we've had fish in the past... I dunno... some people can find the negative in everything.

I just got so bummed out that this CDC link was sent to so many people and it made it seem like I'm putting my children at risk. I'm SOOOO safety conscious, but we also love animals and I'm not going to shield my children from animals because of the minimal risks.

I'd love some stat's about how many people actually contract salmonella from home chicken flocks as opposed to eating food in restaurants, peanut butter, etc. I'd love to be able to send those stat's back, you know?

It would be one thing if she sent it just to you, and would look like concern. But copying everyone else on it, that's just meddling. She's implying that you are making bad parenting decisions, and making sure that everyone hears the implication. Lame.

I had salmonella as a kid and was hospitalized for months because I had an immune deficiency, so I'm just waiting to get "helpful" advice from my entire family too. (Oh, and I got it from contaminated fast food, not the critters I was constantly fooling with.)

Last edited:
I've eaten eggs raw from, and handled chickens from small flocks since I was a child. I am 46. I have never once ever had salmonella, either from handling chicks and chickens or eating their eggs cooked and raw.

You are more likely to contract salmonella and e-coli from commercial produce (spinach, green onions and anything grown in the ground in the third world), dog products (rawhide, pig ears) and a host of other commercially available sources.

You are not risking their lives, you are making decent human beings who know where food comes from and what it entails. Including cleaning, care, feeding and humane housing and handling.

That is NOT a friend, you have there.

Back
Top Bottom