Ugh - friend just sent anti-chick article saying they have salmonella

Some people just like stickin' their noses where they don't belong. I have a 2 y.o. and we just got chicks and she kisses them and I'm not worried. She is more apt to get sick playing at a daycare or a park touching all the germs there. I have a girlfirend who is a clean freak in their house and is always cleaning and using all those cleaners and her kids are forever getting sick. Our house is overrun with animals that we are alway holding and kissing and we are rarely ever sick!!!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Seriously - chicken people are just good people. Thanks for the great replies.

I searched for some info on BYC and found this on another thread. I thought I'd quote it here for you since I thought it was a great bit o' info and this will be forwarded to my anti-chicken "friend" - hmph.

Quote:
I love that 5% are from chickens. Yeah I have a 95% chance of getting it from my flippin' salad or my PB&J. Hmph.

It is true, chicks/chickens/eggs can transmit Salmonella, but handwashing is extremely effective. Last summer while at my parents there was an article in the paper about how they wouldn't have chicks at the fair because of the risk, I found an article about it : http://capitalpress.com/Main.asp?SectionID=94&ArticleID=43994 I remember at the time I thought it was crazy, people can be responsible to wash their own kids' hands. I didn't even have chickens then.

I also found an article that seems to me a little less hyped up, but still informative: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=95980

There will always be people that feel threatened by illnesses/diseases.
But you can also say, ok, well, how long have people been raising chickens? How many adults remember it being their job as children to go collect the eggs from the henhouse, or clean it out? Just putting a different light on it.

Drop her like a hot rock. Who needs somebody like that in their life.

Rufus

Quote:
Amen to that!! I wonder if anyone has links to articles about all the drugs and hormones that commercial birds are fed and how all that affects our food sources!! How about articles about how homegrown chickens and eggs are so much healthier for us to consume. If she is so scared of salmonella, then I hope she isn't sneaking off to KFC anytime soon.

Last edited:
I'm sure many a farmer's young kids were horribly endanagered by holding little chicks. Guess I was in mortal danger as a kid and didn't know it.
roll.png
Possible? yes. Probable? Absolutely not. Certainly you want to wash your hands after handling your chickens; same with your kids handling chicks. Nothing to get in a panic over here, of course.

Gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this. Some people, for some odd reason, find pleasure in making others feel badly. I would not call those people "friend" for sure. You're fine!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom