1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

UGH! Getting a duck pen built=DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nettie, Aug 8, 2010.

1. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    First off, I made all these nice plans for an awesome indoor duck house.... Then I can't find a contractor to do it for me.... Then one replies and gives an outrageous amount for their services. So I alter my plans, decide to put them in a smaller room, find new ways to build a floor and walls.... and then my program for 3D drawing decides to stop working correctly.... [​IMG]

Then I wonder, hey I'm only going to be living here for another year- and a half or so, maybe I could use a pop up green house? But I can't figure out a good way for them to get their food and water without making a huge mess....

If I try to make it easier to clean, it becomes complicated and no one wants to do it.... I make it easier to make, it becomes very hard to clean.... ugh.... [​IMG]

And Now I have a time crunch!!!! It needs to be done before I go on my vacation in late september so my duck sitter doesn't have to deal with the mess that is called their current pen... I am very frustrated at this point... Why won't anyone take my money and built my a duck pen?!?! I've gone through countless handymen and contractors now.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry I am venting.... I figured my friends here at BYC would understand....

2. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member 8 Years

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Take a deep breath & relax!! Here's hoping someone will wanna take your money!! [​IMG]

Good Luck
    Missi

3. tia

tia Songster 9 Years

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    I hope you find someone to build it... I believe you had it on here... and it looked like a great plan. My pen is very simple, but I wish it could be cleaned easier so I understand completely. I have to take out all of the pine shavings once a week and replace them. They do not sell pine pellets here. I know it is hard having someone else care for your ducks if the pen is not easy to clean.

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Could you post the plans (again)? I missed them somehow. What 3D program are you using?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    nettie,

It can be a struggle to get the right kind of help. I have been working at finishing the day yard so that when I need to have someone else take over for a week, it will be manageable. But I am not a carpenter, so I have had to learn as I go. Very slow progress, indeed.

I hope a fresh breeze of inspiration comes through soon. You have beautiful ducks and I am impressed with your care for them.
    [​IMG]

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Try buying a pre-built or pre-cut shed.

They have really good DIY instructions & you can get a much better building for the money. I was able to build an 8x10 shed for about $600 with a treated floor etc. It took me several days - but it went together easy as 123.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't recall if you own the apartment you're currently living in or not, but don't you have to have a building permit to do the renovations you want to do? Can you actually get a permit to build a duck room in an apartment? [​IMG] Maybe the carpenters don't want to have to deal with being liable for damages caused to the building if they go thru with your plans? Or maybe they're like most of us who think ducks should be outdoors so it doesn't matter the mess they make.

8. Quote:One. I'm sure if a permit is needed, Nettie would get one once she has a carpenter/contractor who is willing to do the job for her price range...two, the permit just has to be for a renovation usually doesn't have to be specific - I think her original places calls for a 'room built inside a room' so it wouldnt damage the standing structure of the room itself if I recall her plans correctly. Three - this economy? people shouldn't have the option to be picky if they don't agree with something, if they're making money most will do it if everything legally is taken care of...Besides wether they like the idea of indoor ducks or not isn't part of them doing their job, their job is to build what she would be paying them to build not their opinion on her way of life. [​IMG]

Thats like someone turning down a job because they don't like the fact the person is a goth or their religion - doesn't make good business sense or common sense. money = money.

Nettie!!!!! I am so sorry you're having so much issue! What is it in your design that would make clean up of food easier? You should post your old plans again [​IMG] Good luck though on finding a contractor to do the job!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Nettie.. if you're only going to be there for another year and 1/2...
    i wouldnt even build the thing.... They've been fine all this time anyways...
    I wouldnt waste my money...

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:One. I'm sure if a permit is needed, Nettie would get one once she has a carpenter/contractor who is willing to do the job for her price range...two, the permit just has to be for a renovation usually doesn't have to be specific - I think her original places calls for a 'room built inside a room' so it wouldnt damage the standing structure of the room itself if I recall her plans correctly. Three - this economy? people shouldn't have the option to be picky if they don't agree with something, if they're making money most will do it if everything legally is taken care of...Besides wether they like the idea of indoor ducks or not isn't part of them doing their job, their job is to build what she would be paying them to build not their opinion on her way of life. [​IMG]

Thats like someone turning down a job because they don't like the fact the person is a goth or their religion - doesn't make good business sense or common sense. money = money.

Nettie!!!!! I am so sorry you're having so much issue! What is it in your design that would make clean up of food easier? You should post your old plans again [​IMG] Good luck though on finding a contractor to do the job!

Even in this economy people have the right to chose the carpentry jobs they take....especially if they don't agree with what's being built.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: