Ugh, had to move brooder in house- garage too hot

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
So I swore after my last batch that I would never brood them in the house again. I had them in the garage and they did great the first week, but now they are just too hot. I'm using and ecoglow brooder in a large rubbermaid bin. My three little ones have been crammed in the corners as far away from the ecoglow as possible and tonight started panting a bit. So in they come. Darn it!!!! I've got to figure out a better place tomorrow!

It's been 98 outside, very nasty. The ecoglow doesn't heat up the air, just produces radiant heat. Turning it off wouldn't lower the temp in the brooder.

Really, you wouldn't bring them in if you couldn't lower the temp?

Last edited:
We've had ours in our mudroom for a week now because of the heat. They had been in the garage. We only have 5 silkies so it's manageable. Also, we need to put a floor on the bottom of the coop to keep out pests and change the locks so until that happens we'll keep them in at night regardless of the heat.

how old are they? if it's that warm outside, and you have a coop secure enough to protect them from predators, maybe that's where they should be?

I bring all my chickens in the house in the hot heat. I almost lost a few with the triple digit weather. My girls are 13-20 weeks old. I'd rather keep them alive then to lose them from the heat. No one here seems to mind them inside the house, which includes my dh that is not a big fan of chickens.

Quote:
I feel your pain... Mine were in the dining room until around the same age. I moved them into the garage for a couple more weeks until their coop was done at 9 weeks of age. What a dusty mess!
barnie.gif

Quote:
I guess I'm not good at physics because in my mind, turning off the source of radiant heat would lower the temp. Especially if they're all staying as far away from it as they can. If it's 98 out and that hot in the garage, they don't need heat at all. They already have enough of it. And no I would not bring them in the house. I'd figure out another solution.

Last edited:
Quote:
I guess I'm not good at physics because in my mind, turning off the source of radiant heat would lower the temp. Especially if they're all staying as far away from it as they can. If it's 98 out and that hot in the garage, they don't need heat at all. They already have enough of it. And no I would not bring them in the house. I'd figure out another solution.

x2

Back
Top Bottom