Ugh, horse show rant.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, May 17, 2009.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was at a local poultry show yesterday and there happened to be a horse show. My friend and I stopped by for a little while to watch the horses. Its been along time since I've ridden in a show, but yesterday reminded me why I hated it so much [​IMG]

So many people were tugging on the horses' mouths, whacking them like crazy, kicking, smacking with whips...you name it and people were doing it to their horses. I saw only a very small handful of people actually riding a horse like a horse should be ridden.

One girl completed a reining pattern and her horse didn't quite turn in circles as fast as it should have. As soon as this young girl exited the arena, her trainer or mom came over and instead of saying how well she did (because she really did very well for being young and doing such a complicated pattern!) she lectured her on everything she did wrong. SO this girl goes over into the training arena and starts whacking and tugging on the horse to get it into a spin faster. I don't get it...You did the pattern, saw that your horse didn't do something as well as you would like and instead of going home and working on that shortcoming, they have to whack their horse out at the show. What is that teaching the horse??

So many people were frustrated and taking it out on the horse. There was a day where I would have done some of the same things, but my attitude towards training horses has changed so much during the past 15 years I've spent working with them. There's no room for frustration in the saddle. A show is meant to showcase the training you've done at home with your horse, but it is also a learning experience. If your horse does not perform something right, bring it home and work on that. Once it knows what you are asking, bring it back to a show and try again!

One girl was having trouble with her horse and you could see the horse had no idea what she was asking. After a few minutes the horse said enough, and threw the girl. She then spent five minutes yanking on the horses bit and screaming at it. That horse had no idea what it was getting yelled at for. It just kept getting more and more frustrated!

Honestly, horses already know how to do most of the things we want them to do. The way in which we ask for an action is the important part. I understand horses will sometimes just act up, but there are very few, if any times that a horse should be hit or abused in such a way.

Sorry about the rant! I had to walk away from the horse show after watching these people for just a short time! It certainly was refreshing to see one cowboy training his horse in a gentle but firm way. Being firm with a horse does not mean you have to be nasty!

2. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Well said. There is NOTHING more competitive than youth horse shows. Whatever happened to it being just fun????? And yanking on a horses mouth... that really ticks me off.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    We did not stay long to watch the horses either. I hate pepople like that. Someday the horse willl turn around and get back at the trainer.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:The worst part about this show was that people of all ages were competing and I saw some adults treating their horses worse than some of the kids.

I think the first thing a kid should be taught on the back of a horse is patience. In fact, both the horse and the rider should be taught patience. I was not taught this way, but when I have children (and if they ride!) that is the first thing I will teach. No horses will be ridden unless you can stay calm no matter what happens.

I did go home and ride yesterday after the show. At one point my horse decided to spook and since I haven't ridden consistently in about two years, I fell off because I haven't yet regained my balance. I didn't get up and run to my horse to yell at him. He did nothing wrong. Instead, I got the stool that fell and taught him not to be afraid of it. Now the next time it falls, he won't remember getting yelled at, but rather that it is nothing to be afraid of!

5. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    I absolutely cant stand yanking on mouth, smacking, hitting or even yelling. Why didnt you report it to the show super.

I also totally agree with the princple on its a show not a training avenue

6. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:I probably should have reported it, but honestly that didn't even run through my mind at the time. Unfortunately here in NJ a lot of people just don't care. When I used to compete in the county fair, the people who ran the show were just as bad as the people IN the show. It was really sad. I always tried to enjoy the shows and I didn't always win. I learned ALOT though and towards the end of my 4-H showing career, my horse was finally starting to place.

7. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    If you have to whack on a horse your doing something wrong, and there are ways to show discipline whithout beating. I have trained horses I understand you have to protect yourself and be aggresive sometimes, but if you are training and you have to be abusive to your horse you are doing something wrong(especially if that tehcnique doesn't work). Horses are animals that want to please if you know how to train right and the horse is not highly aggresive than those techniques are not neccessary. If I am training and I feel myself wanting to get aggressive I get off cool down and think of a better way to do things. Being aggressive when not needed can get you hurt. Knowing your horse is very important to . Some need more "structure," but some really dont.The main thing with a horse is staying calm!!!

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can probably count all the times I ever had to hit my first horse on one hand, and I wouldn't even have to use all my fingers. (I had her for about ten years, maybe a little shorter) Really the only time I can ever see hitting an animal is if it poses danger to me. Horses are very rough to each other in the wild herd, so sometimes with a more dominant animal you may have to use your hands a little more (We are going through this with our gelding right now!) A lot of his dominance issues are being worked out in the round pen though. A whip is an extremely useful tool, and when used correctly, you shouldn't have to touch the horse with it!

However, if a horse isn't showing aggression, then I don't see why you need to hit it. As love animals said, if you have to hit your horse for training purposes, then you are doing something wrong!

9. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    There is a difference in using a crop or spurs as a cue or tool or to focus your horse. They aren't used for beating your horse up.

There are times when you smack your horse. When they bite or kick. But not when you are teaching them something new.

10. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    i tell people riding my horses or riding horses that i've trained or anyone that cares to listen...my kids included...Ask the horse for nothing more in the show ring than you ask of him every other day....and to be proud when your horse dumps you and comes back while your are still on the ground to see what he's done wrong and to let you back on... at least you can both go out of the ring together....Anyone, can make any horse, do anything, with a big enough bit...after you are on the ground the horse does what he wants...and thats what you train for...He Wants to do what You Want to do....Most of the time all the rein pulling,spurring,crop whipping comes from the belief that your horse doesn't Want to do what you Want...and the rider hasn't been in the saddle enough to know for sure what will happen next...IMO....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by