Ugh! How to get stains out?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Sweetie is my QH mare. She is gray ticked, which means that this time of year she looks like a white snowball. EXCEPT we've had a week of rain and the pastures are the muddiest I've ever seen them. The ground is red clay (hence our name of Rusty Hills Farm) and she has rolled in the mud SO many times in the last 3 days that I can no longer get her clean. Even after multiple baths she's still orange! Anybody got any ideas how to get her white again?

Rusty

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Rub with egg yolk, then roll in flour.....

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I use fels-naptha for stains...it's tough enough to get mechanics grease out of clothes (you know what I mean). Maybe that would work...

4. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:After bathing you can use Clorox2. Clorox2 has bluing in it. Blue is the opposite color of orange and will neutralize the color. There is also a product that is just laundry bluing, but if you don't use it very carefully and quickly rinse, you will have a blue horse. So the Clorox2 is safer to use.

5. ChickenFanaticAB

ChickenFanaticAB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    GA
    I know they have special shampoo for white dogs, and I would imagine they would have something similar for horses...it might be expensive, i'm not sure, and if she is just going to get muddy again, it might not be worth it!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you have to go to a show, you can shampoo the bejeebers out of her and then VERY VERY CAREFULLY add a small capful of laundry blueing to the water, go over her with that real good, then rinse it out very well. It will de-yellow white horses to a reasonable extent. It will also turn them bluey-purple if you use too much or don't rinse well/soon enough, so, don't say you weren't warned LOL

Unless you have an important high-class show to go to, IMHO the most sensible thing is to let her be a pastel pony for a while. It will wear off in time; if nothing else, she will start shedding in six weeks or so [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Quote:[​IMG]

Pat may be right and I should just leave well enough alone since she is retired now (like me) and I'm just not used to seeing her dirty ! [​IMG] I've heard about using bluing but not the Clorox 2. I suppose if the yucky color really gets to me, I might just try that.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

[​IMG]

Rusty

8. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG]

Pat may be right and I should just leave well enough alone since she is retired now (like me) and I'm just not used to seeing her dirty ! [​IMG] I've heard about using bluing but not the Clorox 2. I suppose if the yucky color really gets to me, I might just try that.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

[​IMG]

Rusty

Learned about Clorox 2 when I ended up owning 2 paints that are mostly white. It doesn't appear to irate the skin and can be left on for 10 minutes or so to lighten the stain. Too bad your not up here with me, the snow cleans off all the stains this time of year.

9. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    I am also glad you mentioned this because my Paint is mostly white. And it is a ton of fun trying to get him clean.

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I know, isn't it great? This is the only time my 'fat white pony' (Lipizzaner cross) is actually WHITE. Anytime there is exposed mud or dirt, he is a fat beige-brown-pinto pony [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by