Ugh!!! Huh???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunAngel, Nov 29, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    About 3 weeks ago my hens completely stopped laying, a few days later I got a random egg here and there. At the moment, instead of 8-10 a day, I am getting about 5 a day, mostly from the bantam coop.

I walk into the main coop yesterday to see if there were any eggs to collect, I look up and there stands one of the stupid hens I bought at auction, chowing down on the biggest of the 3 eggs in the nesting box [​IMG] So now I am wondering just how many eggs this chicken has eaten and has she had accomplices?!

I snagged the last two eggs, tossed her out of the nesting box and watched for a minute. In comes my Gold Pencilled Hamburg which starts trying to get into the nesting boxes. I am thinking, ok, theres one of her partners in crime, but the egg eater proceeds to chase the GPH out of each nest. I grab the egg eater, take her outside and toss her in my empty rabbit hutch. Go back in and see the GPH in one of the nests....not looking for eggs, but fixing herself up a spot to LAY an egg!! She is only the second of my original group to lay me an egg (the first was a little black jap bantam). While I stood there the GPH laid me an adorable little cream colored egg [​IMG] (which I thought would be white, due to her white earlobes)...so I guess she hasn't been laying for long.

So now I wonder, was that her first? Do I have others laying their first eggs, but they were being eaten? How many eggs have I been losing each day? Was that the offenders first crime?

[​IMG] Ugh, I am so mad! I am not happy with this hen to begin with, she pecks at me when I go to pet other chickens and she bullies the others, but she is unique color wise and was laying nice big eggs so I held onto her. Now I don't know whether to cull her or take her to auction, which isn't for 2 weeks. I do know she is going to spend her days in that rabbit cage!

Sorry for the long post, just needed to vent. This is my first experience with this!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    She was probably at the auction in the first place for the same problem. Someone else's problem became yours.

I have never had a problem such as this, but it looks like this chicken needs to go if she is causing such a disruption. If you aren't attached to her, then find her a new home.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Cull her, don't make her someone else's problem. Either that, or place her in a cage for a while with a bottom in it to drop the eggs down away from her in hopes to break her.
    Usually what brings this habit on is that they step on a egg, breaks and then its normal to ingest it instead of calling in a predator.
    Good luck.

4. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I don't really want to make her someone elses problem, but I have also never culled a chicken. I am very leary about trying it.

I am definitely not attached to her, she is a witch!

5. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken soup anyone?!

6. BJ

Mar 20, 2007
    If you re-home her, you need to make her problem known up-front. Maybe there is someone out there that doesn't mind her bad habit...or they will plan to make a meal out of her...what YOU don't know won't bother you.....right?!

7. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Chicken soup would work for me, since I don't have anything planned for dinner anyways. I am just scared to try culling.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I was thinking about fried chicken.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Culling is simply to remove from the flock. You're scared of that??? or do you mean KILLING??

10. BJ

Mar 20, 2007
    Quote:Is there anyone in your area who will process for you...a butcher?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by