UGH..I almost just gave up on Ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, May 27, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I almost just threw my arms up and gave up on Ducks. I went to close everyone up for the night since i let them free range today. It was wet & rainy and the hawks/eagles are never out on these days here. Well i went to close the door and count and only found 14 (i have 15), i quickly realized it was my girl Nibbles and frantically walked down to the creek and around their area looking for her, she was nowhere to be found. i was freaking out of course, shes my "baby" and my sweetest, oldest duck.

I finally decided to calm down and take care of the brooder then i would look again. well when i beant down to grab some straw from under the back of the coop i saw the little turd in the corner, just preening like nothing was going on. I looked closer and saw a few eggs behind her (what used to be the old goose nest).. [​IMG] .. I have been wondering when she was going to do this, she brooded non-stop last year. But of course she HAD to do it outside of the coop.

I put up a wire covered frame over the opening and blocked the far end with a board. she should be safe for the ngiht but i will have to figue something better out tomorrow... Maybe i can just remove some blocks in the run side and close up the back of the coop to make it safe for the turd. Also debating on taking her eggs, she uses the same nest everytime. thank god i found her tonight, I was ready to give up and sell them all.

I do need to sell 2 girls, gotta make room for the new babies.

2. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    aww how could you be mad at her? [​IMG] I am glad you found her though I would b freaking out if i lost one of my chickens or ducks!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Bleenie I cant ever imagine you really giving up on your ducks..... So glad you found her....

4. I put up a wire covered frame over the opening and blocked the far end with a board. she should be safe for the ngiht but i will have to figue something better out tomorrow... Maybe i can just remove some blocks in the run side and close up the back of the coop to make it safe for the turd. Also debating on taking her eggs, she uses the same nest everytime. thank god i found her tonight, I was ready to give up and sell them all.

I do need to sell 2 girls, gotta make room for the new babies.

I hear ya! [​IMG] I have those days & if it isn't the ducks it's the chooks. Gotta love them Scovies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by