1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UGH! I am a horrible chick mother!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Jan 1, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I did what everyone said NOT to do. I was watching my chick struggle for about 30 hours to hatch. She was almost there when suddenly she started peeping like she was in distress and I saw blood coming from the egg. She stopped moving and making noise and her breathing changed. I panicked and helped her the rest of the way out of the egg. I know, I know, I shouldn't have done it. I felt like we were just sitting there watching her die and I had to give her a chance at life especially because this is the first chick I've ever hatched. The blood was on her rearend. It stopped bleeding pretty quickly and back in the incubator she went to dry off. She is still alive today but very sleepy and weak. I have given her Polyvison w/out iron and she is actually drinking on her own. She isn't walking too well, she had a white mucus thing (sorry for my newness) wrapped around her legs when she was first born. I'm not sure if this was the problem because her feet/toes seem curled. As she gains more strength, she seems to be getting up off her hocks and walking on her feet more. I'm hoping she will just walk normally on her own once she is stronger but I am prepared to make little shoes for her to straighten her feet if needed.

I am just having such guilt now and needed to vent somewhere where people might understand what I was going through and why I made the choice I did. I will do everything I can to help this baby survive....I promise. [​IMG]

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    It's ok......what's done is done and you can learn from it! Sometimes they seem to be struggling for a long time to get out, but they really just aren't ready yet. She came out a little early, and lost a little blood but she can recover. Just make sure to keep her warm and dry and give her a little pedilyte if you have it. I've even thrown a pinch of sugar in their water if that's all I had on hand. They are pretty wobbly when they first hatch. Give it time. Her toes should straighten out on their own. If not, in a few days post some pictures and we can help.

Don't feel guilty....a lot of us had felt we needed to help at some point. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.....it sounds like this one is gonna be just fine [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    It is so hard to watch them struggle in the incubator, but we must. I have a friend who insists upon "helping" all of her chicks out of the egg. She has multiple problems with her babies. I let mine struggle and sadly, I lost a couple. It broke my heart. That said, I would not feel guilty. I came so close to helping a couple, but my daughter talked me down.

I bet she will be fine. Blessings!

4. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I appreciate it.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Pam, for what it is worth, I would have helped it out right at the 24 hour mark. I have had too many die that I left alone.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Well - bash me too - [​IMG]

When I have a chick in distress while hatching - I help too.

Some day, maybe I will be strong enough to NOT help - course some day I may be a movie star also [​IMG]

7. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Awww...thanks guys! I'm feeling a bit better knowing I'm not the only one. I honestly think it had a lot to do with the fact that it was my first hatch and I was so afraid to lose her. We sat and watched her from 10:00 a.m. yesterday until I ended up helping her at about 7:00 p.m. She has piped around 11:00 a.m the day before and we watched her all day then too. I was already attached to her. [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im guilty too [​IMG] I try not to do it anymore but sometimes I just can't help it, especially if it's a rarer breed

9. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Awwww, don't feel bad! I would have done the same thing! Hope she makes it, comeon little silkie chick! How are the others doing?

10. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    Oh, and I would love to see an eensy, weensy pic of the wee one if you have a chance! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by