Ugh I feel like an idiot ! And a question for you experienced hatchers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fduncan, Feb 19, 2013.

1. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    Well I'd had less than stellar hatches in my old incubator (bought it used and I was determined it had some kind of bacteria or jinx )so my sweet hubby bought me a new one it's a still air and I wasn't liking all the temperature variance in it so I decided to take the lid off for a few minuets and pop the fan I'd put on the old one on it . I started to put it on the same way my husband had done the first one then thought to myself that I should check that it was blowing air down and not sucking it up .Surprise all these hatches that thing was sucking all my warm air up ! No wonder I could never get my humidity very high ! So experienced hatchers could this be the cause to all my late term deaths and not healthy chicks being born ?

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    I wish I could help! I am a new hatcher, but I use still air. And so far love them personally. (((Hugs)))

3. fduncan

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    I was hoping I'd like my new one but I was just getting to many cold spots in it . With the fan it's reading pretty even every where . :) Thanks for the hugs I needed it . Just thinking of all the eggs that I had in that thing over the last year and all the different things I tried to get a good hatch makes me want to start bawling

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  4. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Trying to figure out what is wrong with incubators & hatches is really pretty hard, simply because WE don't have the incubator or can see how it's operating.
    I have 2 incubators from the same manufacturer & the fans blow in different directions, there 2 different models so the operate differently.
    Because you mention late deaths & weak chicks you may be right that it was running in the wrong direction. If it was sucking & blowing the air against the top you may not have been getting the advantage of it sucking in fresh air from the vent holes, I assume were in the top. proper venting is important because it flushes out bad air & brings in fresh. To much venting can cause temperature & humidity control problems. ----- This is all just theory, so take it for what's it's worth

5. fduncan

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    Thanks Bill 101 :) the fan was definitely sucking and air up and not blowing it down very easy to notice by just sticking your hand in front of it . In the almost year I've owned it I just never thought about checking it . It's been going all night and I've got an even temperature and my humidity finally hit above 50 I've been dumping a ton of water in the bottom ( It's a hovabator 1602N ) and was lucky to hit 35 . Hoping this problem is solved I've got eggs in & due on the 9th so here's hoping I fixed my problem :)

6. Bill 101

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I see some other post where people are saying that the fan kits that are sold for small incubators have a baffle below the fan to keep the fan from blowing directly on the eggs, might be worth considering.

7. fduncan

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    Thanks Bill 101 I'll have to find a picture of a baffle and see what I can concoct today :)

8. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Hmm...that scares me when you say you have been dumping a ton of water but never get your humidity up. You may have had bad hatches because of high humidity, not the fan. Have you calibrated your hygrometer? I find that I do best when my humidity is around 35% for the incubation and then 65% for lockdown. High humidity during incubation can cause large swollen chicks that can't maneuver for hatching and they tend to drown after internally pipping. Do a little research on dry incubating and see if this may work for you.

Also, what are your temps like in the incubator? Are you turning your eggs regularly? Plenty of fresh air via open vents?

Are you hatching shipped eggs or your own? How are you cleaning and disinfecting your incubator?

I can help you further if I have some more info [​IMG]

Trish

9. fduncan

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    Trish I've tried a ton of different humidity ranges I think the highest I've tried was about 45% still had stuck chicks . I've been most recently trying the dry incubation and my chicks seem even more stuck than before .Never had any large swollen chicks .I recently read the article about Colorado hatching they dont recommend dry hatches at our elevation . Our only heat source is a wood stove and it's pretty dry in our house in the winter.Hygrometer's are calibrated and I adjusted for what they were off . I've used shipped and dozens of my own with the same results one or 2 hatch and I've had to put several down had a shipped one with horrible legs ,the survivor was very weak I spent the first few month's of her life babying her back to health this batch from my own had scissor beaks and unabsorbed yolk sacks and they were all stuck but most of them are healthy looking chicks that die I believe between 15 days and hatch day . Eggs are turned regularly. I used to hand turn the past few I switched to cartons and tilting the whole incubator I was worried I was doing something wrong while turning them. All vents are open (I tossed out the plugs ) Incubator is washed out & bleached after every hatch . I was setting it outside to dry and disinfect some more but my akbash pups can reach any where I can put it now and they'd have it torn to pieces .

10. Bill 101

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I read some of those "Colorado" post & agree. I lived in the high desert 4500 feet. Eggs under a hen that were in an unheated building wouldn't hatch or get part way around the egg & get stuck. I was able to hatch just fine in the house (forced air heating) using a 55% humidity during incubation & 70% at hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by