Ugh... I feel so STUPID! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skip, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

My friends are raising broilers for the first time, and when I was over there, I noticed one of their birds had a large (and hard) crop. And, you know how when broilers lie down on bedding, the feathers on their belly get rubbed off and manure-caked? The same thing had happened to the feathers over his crop, leading me to think it had had an enlarged crop for a while. My first reaction was impacted crop, so we treated for it by making the bird throw up, then adding olive oil. But now, I think it might have been a false alarm on my part, because looking back, the bird wasn't lethargic and was eating and drinking, but at that time, I didn't know to look for that too. And then I did more research this morning, and I learned that making a bird throw up the wrong way can kill it. AAGH, I feel so stupid! [​IMG]

I'm used to treating my own birds for various things, but the moment it's someone else's bird, the game changes entirely! You see, my friend trusts me to know what to do with birds. Most of the time I have a pretty good idea, but in this instance, I had no more experience than he did. I feel like I failed somehow at helping my friend out, and we could have really hurt the bird! [​IMG]

This post is a bit of a venting on my part... But I would still appreciate some comfort/words of wisdom.

Thanks.

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Stuff happens, everyone makes mistakes and that's how we learn better for the next time! Just add it to your knowledge base! [​IMG]

3. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Good Lord, that was so fast it has to be a record! [​IMG]

Thank you very much, I feel better already. Going to go call my friends now and check on the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by