1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugh!!! I just re-sexed my Turkeys!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by texascowboy1979, Jan 10, 2010.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

When I sexed them about 3 months ago... all my turkeys were female.... SO i was a bit angry and ordered a male... and then today... I just happend to re-sex them and all my wild turkeys are now male!!! There beard is abotu 1 inch long..

What age are wild turkey's sexable? Now I have to order a new set to see how many females I get.... UGH!!!!

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Toms are edible [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
  3. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for the comment... I orderd 15 new chicks for April.. at least Ill have mature tom's for my new hens when they become ready.

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    How old are they? I am usually pretty good at sexing, but this year two that I thought were females (due to smaller snoods, size of caruncles, and hair on the heads) are actually males. I was out while it was nice outside and in a high pitched voice said 'preeeetty baby'. That usually gets the toms going, and they gobbled at me. Keep in mind that some hens do get beards, most places I read said something like 10-15%?, and I read somewhere that it could be genetic. Try talking in a high pitched voice and see if it gets them excited enough to display and gobble. Some hens display, too, but they don't gobble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by