Ugh! I Knew This Would Happen!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PamB, Nov 4, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    My Silkie has been broody for what seems like forever! I tried and tried to break her and she just wasn't giving up. So, I decide to give in to her and order some fertile eggs for her to hatch. Got the call today that they are at the post office for me to pick up tomorrow. Well, GUESS WHAT???!!! As of today, she is no longer broody. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Well you have a couple of days before something has to be done with the eggs so I recommend making a "nest" in a cage where she can be isolated and leave them with her...my silkie hen, who had not laid her first egg just yet became broody when I simply gave her a few new hatched chicks. She has since never quit and "raised" two quail, 6 chicks and counting....my incubator is going and when the 9 eggs in there finish and hopefully hatch, sweet "Nee Nee" the silkie hen will start mothering all over again lol.....can't hurt to try leaving the eggs with her for a day or two...

[​IMG]

3. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Ok, I guess I will try that! I'd hate to have completely wasted the money on the eggs....and I was excited about the possibility of some cute red silkies. [​IMG]

4. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Pam, what I have to say to you is

Howdy, neighbor! [​IMG]

5. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Hello!! Are you close enough that you could hatch some eggs for me?? LOL

6. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Absolutely! [​IMG]

But I don't have a broody. [​IMG]

7. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Awww...that's too bad. [​IMG]

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Seriously put her in a box that ONLY allows her to sit on the eggs....hopefully her body temp. hasn't gone down enough to convince her to stop. Maybe after giving her eggs she will still do it for you....

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

9. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Oh, and is in darkness to encourage her just to sit there....give her food and water of course but that can come in the morning

10. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:So, I would do that for one night and then let her out and see if she stays??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by