UGH I should have known better!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 29, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    With the long weekend upon us (Canadian) I have had an overflow of orders for eggs and now I just have to fill one more carton for tomorrow at lunch.

Today, I let the 11 hens out to free range (as I was going to be away most of the day) and I just figured they would lay in their nest box, because they usually do, if I let them out early (before they are finished) and sure enough I come home to NO EGGS!!! I did a fast search around the property and there are so many places...I gave up.

crap.

I need 11 eggs by lunch tomorrow!!!

[​IMG] I don't want to disappoint as these are my regular customers, but everyone wanted them early this week because everyone is going away for the weekend!

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Think like a chicken! Maybe in a bush. Maybe look with a flashlight at night, they might be easier to find.

3. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    yeah did the flashlight thing...we have a lot of low lying bushes around...and I thought for 3 eggs I am not going to crawl around. LOL

I am not letting them out of the run till I get 3 more eggs to fill my doz for today!

LOL

4. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    That's it...hold'em hostage!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

Hope you get your eggs!

6. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I had the same problem during Easter with my Bantam eggs. 2 of 6 hens just decided they didn't want to lay anymore...for not reason at all... They were not broody, just didnt want to give up eggs. Dont you love when they keep all their eggs?

7. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    you need to buy more chickens and you will have more eggs!!!! [​IMG]

8. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    oohh that happens to me whenever I have a swap or a large order.. I think my hens hate working under pressure.. good luck

Shelly

9. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:Just don't tell them. ...haha.[​IMG]

10. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have 13 more coming on WED!!!!

mind you they will only be 15 weeks...but my first batch started laying at 16.5 weeks...

AND...still no egg. I just need one more.

The guy said if he didn't get them till tomorrow that was fine, but it's a holiday and I don't want to have to take the drive into town *sigh*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by