Ugh I smell Cat Pee!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lunachick, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    It must have been the heavy snow we got. The cat box always gets scooped daily, but he's our only boy, and maybe that had something to do with it (1 boy 3 girls) but............P U! he peed on DH's chair [​IMG] I presently have the cushions in question out in the snow dowsed with white vinegar ....I'll leave them out there until the sun and snow and rain rinses them out. I'm not putting them in the washing machine. I tried that once and all you get is nice smelling cushions with underlying cat pee smell.

geez, why now? I still have to make more Christmas cookies, wrap stuff and make a lasagne [​IMG] darn cat

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is he fixed? We have an unfixed male (indoor cat, no overpopulation thing here) and he STINKS. We are getting him fixed in January though.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Cats can be a pain. I would try adding another litter box if you only have one.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

For some reason my cat (the female I think) peed on a pair of my lounge pants. I chalked it up to either a dirtier than preferred litterbox and washed them with vinegar before washing them with anything else. A few months passed, no other incidents. THEN Wal-Mart quit carrying their preferred brand of food.....and my pants got pee'd on again! I washed them and they still smelled to me, so I just threw them out. Again, I don't think this was our (fixed) male, I believe it was the pickier (also fixed) female demonstrating her unhappiness about something. I could TOTALLY see a cat being upset about the snow and taking it out by peeing on something non-cold!!! [​IMG]
    I wouldn't' be so quick to assume that a neuter would solve the problem.

If it becomes a habit though, have them checked out for a UTI.

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    What do you use to get rid of the cat pee or dog pee smell? I have use vinegar/baking soda and odoban before with limited success. I was wondering what anyone else may have used that works wonders.

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Yes, he's fixed. All my cats are fixed. I think it was because I was so busy scooping snow, that I skipped yesterday's cat scooping, sometimes that's all it takes. But I do believe I need another box (thanks 1acre!) too many girls and I kinda feel sorry for him with all the cat antics that go around. He might need his own box. Didn't think of that!

Yes, they can be a pain, but so can our children! [​IMG] I'll deal with the extra cat box!

7. debilorrah

Quote:A bowl of ammonia near the accident site = it sucks up the odors.

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I got two being a pain right now sitting on my chest.

9. debilorrah

Quote:My Trouble HAS to be next to me all the time or he meows so mournfully.

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hoosier - the only thing that's worked for me was dowsing with vinegar but keeping the item outside to rinse in the rain and sun to bleach it out. And that took a few weeks. But it worked until now [​IMG] But it must have been the combination of snow (he's the only cat to go outside, others are indoor cats) and the girl ratio.

Am definitely getting another box. I think he needs his own. phew!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by