ugh. I think I broke both of my digital thermometers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by misskeeter, Mar 7, 2013.

1. misskeeter

misskeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    I was trying to calibrate my digital thermometers... I put the probe into a folded over ziplock bag with ice water... now the thermometer reads a good 5-10 degrees lower than the plain old glass red liquid thermometer that came with the incubator. I calibrated both of those, and they were spot on... so is there a way to fix my digital probe thermometer, or did I royally screw up?

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Sometimes the digi therms will read a little slower than a mercury bulb or is it just plain not readin right at all.

3. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    It is in the incubator constantly.... Same reading... 5-10 degrees lower than the plain cheap thermometer .... I've tested the cheap one a few more times to be sure it's reading right.... It is.

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    You are NOT supposed to calibrate digital thermometers using the ice water method. A lot of them aren't built to handle temps that low. Also, the accuracy on digital therms varies greatly with the temperature range, so you want to calibrate as close to 100 degrees as possible.

This is what I used to calibrate mine: http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

5. misskeeter

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Yep... Figured that out after I broke two digitals... Ugh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by