UGH! I think I'm feeding my ducks wrong!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by patyrdz, May 13, 2009.

1. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have been feeding them chick starter/grower. I asked for non-medicated and this is what they gave me. One duckling is haveing episodes where he is wobbly and flipped over once. Then he acts normal. I have done a search and saw that it is a vitamin defincey. The only thing I have here is flight devolper for my gamebirds, and turkey starter. The feed stores are closed and I don't have brewers yeast or vitamins. Should I just go get some, or is one of the feeds I listed ok to feed them?
    I did not have a problem with the first set of runners feeding them the same feed, but now I have had one die and one acting weird! Please help!!

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I feed mine non-medicated turkey starter. it sounds like maybe yours got medicated by accident?

Nancy

3. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

If I remember right you can feed Turkey starter but I'm not positive. Some people don't agree but you could feed them strait Cracked Corn until you find the right feed.

4. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I just went and checked. Everything I have is medicated! Turkey starter, flight developer, starter/grower! I don't know what to do now! I just don't want him to die before tomorrow! The feed store gave me the starter grower when I asked for non-medicated. I never realized it was medicated.

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    If it's just a matter of waiting until tomorrow. I'd pull the feed and let them wait it out. You could feed some yogurt or greens to tide them over. If you have some vitamin powder, poultry vitamins or poly-vi-sol, I'd give them a bit of that.

6. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Thank you![​IMG] Going to the store for some vitamins!!

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What is the medication in the starter?

And you can get the liquid Poly-Vi-Sol at Walmart over by the parrot supplies. Brewer's yeast is in the vitamin isle.

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Pull any medicated feed. Even if he has to go hungry, it will be better than feeding him something that's toxic to his system.

You are going to have to find some non-medicated feed tomorrow when the stores open up.

-Kim

9. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Quote:I looked and all I saw was vitamins, but I was told that all Starter/grower is medicated. Is this true? I got the poly-vi-sol, how much do I use? I am going to put it in some yogurt.

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    All starter is not medicated. If it is medicated it will say so.

Just put a couple of drops in about a cup of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by