Ugh, I think my new Silkie Chicks have MG

BokBokGoose

Songster
6 Years
Feb 24, 2017
I’m pretty frustrated and going back and forth on what to do with them. I purchased these chicks locally just for fun to add to my existing large flocks including layers, and several breeding projects I’m working on. The chicks have been isolated 100% in a metal brooder in my basement since receiving them in Jan. Within 2 weeks almost all had sneezing, foaming/weepy eyes and nasal discharge. I treated with vetrx and fresh oregano. All recovered and only a few are still sneezing a month later. I take bio security very seriously and only visit these chicks after I have tended to everyone else and then wash up.

Now finding out that it is most likely MG I’m feeling the only option I have is to cull all of these chicks to prevent the inevitable spread to my other stock. I do sell eggs, hatching eggs and chicks locally and I find it highly unethical to sell anything to anyone if I were to integrate these birds or even pen them nearby 😢 BUT The prevalence of MG has me second guessing that, that it’s possible my other flocks have it from previous exposure anyways and I would be unnecessarily culling the silkies? Ugh.

Someone help me please 😫 I’m struggling to move forward and need to open up a new brooder for my next rounds of hatches and I need to either cull or move these chicks outside and I’m feeling stuck.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems.
Vet rx is not a medicine, it's vicks for chickens, just a slight placebo.
Is there a Vet nearby to verify mg?

No, there are no local vets that treat chickens nearby. I can cull one and send for necropsy at a state lab or swab for zoologix quoted me $125 for MG test. These birds only cost me about $40 so I don’t see it as worthwhile. For my other flocks, sure.

Unfortunately, it sounds like MG, but only testing would confirm it. Have you asked your state vet if they’re would test a couple of birds with symptoms? NPIP testers might do that as well. That might be cheaper. It is a conundrum when you don’t know if the new silkies would prevent you from selling hatching eggs and chicks. Selling eggs for food would be okay. I would also worry about them infecting your existing flock. You could offer them back to the original owner, since they sold you birds who had been exposed. MG is a chronic disease, and can cause birds to be in thrifty and not lay as well. Many flocks and wild birds can test positive for MG, but it is not something you want if you didn’t have it before.

Unfortunately, it sounds like MG, but only testing would confirm it. Have you asked your state vet if they’re would test a couple of birds with symptoms? NPIP testers might do that as well. That might be cheaper. It is a conundrum when you don’t know if the new silkies would prevent you from selling hatching eggs and chicks. Selling eggs for food would be okay. I would also worry about them infecting your existing flock. You could offer them back to the original owner, since they sold you birds who had been exposed. MG is a chronic disease, and can cause birds to be in thrifty and not lay as well. Many flocks and wild birds can test positive for MG, but it is not something you want if you didn’t have it before.
Very much my situation. I was interested in pursuing NPIP certification at the end of the summer when things slow down for my farm. We have only had one instance of coccidia in all the years I have kept chickens so I truly don’t even want to mess with MG. I would just hate to put someone else in the position I find myself in or worse- contaminating their flock.

Update: contacted the state diagnostic lab at Auburn, sent some swabs out on Weds and by Friday results were in. The chicks tested positive for MG. I haven't released them from the brooder, so it looks like a grim weekend for them 😢

I’d make sure you contact the person who sold them to you. She/he may not care and continue to sell but there could be an off chance that she really doesn’t know and you would be saving more people from buying or going through what you’re going through. I had a big buy of chicks that two vets (one was a state vet) thought was avian encephalomyelitis. If I remember they too were silkies. It’s been a few years back. I ended up culling what hadn’t died on its own. I reached out to the breeder who denied it all. They usually do sadly. I rarely have ever had someone take responsibility for their own birds let alone reimburse me for my losses

I’d make sure you contact the person who sold them to you. She/he may not care and continue to sell but there could be an off chance that she really doesn’t know and you would be saving more people from buying or going through what you’re going through. I had a big buy of chicks that two vets (one was a state vet) thought was avian encephalomyelitis. If I remember they too were silkies. It’s been a few years back. I ended up culling what hadn’t died on its own. I reached out to the breeder who denied it all. They usually do sadly. I rarely have ever had someone take responsibility for their own birds let alone reimburse me for my losses
I did reach out to her last night and she did deny having any knowledge of MG (in general) or symptoms of it in her flock. I reassured her I was not angry, but urged her to test her birds before continuing to sell them. Hopefully she takes that step.

Back
Top Bottom