We don't have the extreme cold out here north of Seattle but we have rain and cold. I had a heat lamp for the our girls in side their coop. We have six ladies, 2 RIRs, 2 buff Orpingtons and 2 barred rocks. They were born around the first 2 weeks of July this past year. We had lots of rain then a cold spell; it got down to 28-38. We had a few stubborn girls not wanting to go into the coop after dark and we where encouraged to replace the heat lamp with a bulb for light. Now one girl has a few spots on her comb and a spot on her waddle. I remember that she was the one running around looking like she got a bucket of water dumped on her. So tonight after researching what to do here, I put a mixture of bag balm, antibotic plus A&D ointment on our girls. This stuff was thicker and sticker then peanut butter. I wasn't sure how thick how much to apply. My technique was to put on rubber gloves and tried to warm my goop between my hands. I painted their little waddles and pasted the combs between my palms. They are now goopy headed girls. Now my question is what should I be looking for in changes. Are the black spots going to fall off the comb? If so, what about the cheek, will it be a sore? Now, heat lamp or no heat lamp? I don't think they can truly dry off without it? Your thoughts?