Ugh! Just culled my first bird :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Beau coop, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I can't believe I just did that- my stomach hurts. I know it comes with the territory, but that was really hard to do. I hope she can forgive me. [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sorry. I know how awful it feels, but a suffering bird needs someone to take the responsibility. Was she ill? I must say, it never gets easy to do.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm sorry for how you are feeling!....[​IMG]......i'm not looking forward to the time i have to do it....[​IMG]

4. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    She seemed paralyized from the "waist" down. I don't know if my roo damages her or what. She's been inside for a while without improvement.
    Can't live in a box on the dining room table forever, even a very comfy box with high end room service. *laughs thru tears*

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    you did the right thing for her!....you did the MOST humane/kind thing for her, its up to US to not let them suffer and linger on.....thank you for being so brave!..i hope i am as strong someday....[​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I know sooner or later it will happen to me, too. But I hope I can do as well as you have. You are brave, and you came to the right place to talk about it. [​IMG]

7. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Thanks you guys. Who knew you could care so much about these fuzzybutts.

8. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    It's never easy...sometimes it takes me a few days to work up the "mood" to get it done, but it does get done, and afterwards it's a feeling of freedom to have gotten rid of the sick or old bird....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  9. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    oh, I am so sorry. I know how hard that is.

I have had a rooster living in my bathroom for 2 months now. I thought we'd have to let him go weeks ago, but then he rallied. He was attacked by a stray dog.

10. Beau coop

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    I've got an hour and a half since "event". I know it was the right thing to do, but I still feel so crummy.

snugglepup- I am sorry to hear about your rooster- how is he doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by