ugh... mom and dad just dont under stand...!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by americana-chick, Sep 7, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Ok so we went out to the fead store today and they had some baby chicks. i asked if i could get some and my dad said he didnt care. well we get hom and i beg my mom to let me get some "my dad said i had to talk to her first" and finally she said she didnt care but now my dad is saying that he doesnt know and he will have to talk to mom when she gets back! i dont know what to do?! i just wanted to get 2 ameraucanas only 2! and my parents dont like chickens at all so i am the one who deals with them all. what do i say to break the ice befor the feed store runs out of baby chicks?!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    The most important thing is to approach the situation like an adult. Make a list of "pros" and "cons" and show them that you've thought everything through.

Give them examples of how you would work to earn the money to feed extra birds. Show them how you've rearranged your schedule so that you have plenty of time to take care of the animals and complete your other responsibilities, such as homework.

If they still say no, don't pout. Adults accept disappointments maturely.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Edited because when I first read this post it made no sense as it had the word "rear" in place of every five or sixth word.

After I posted... it was all fixed. So strange.[​IMG]

Computers are such a pain sometimes. Sorry all.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Have some patience. They won't make a decision in a day and the more annoying you are the less likely you will get them. Prove you are willing and ready to care for them. Talk about how you are going to raise them, where you are going to keep them, and that you will do all the work so they won't have to worry about it.

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    what i do if my mom says no is go and buy them and just dont tell them . When she finds them i say a mother hen just popped up with them or some one must of dropped them off !!

And if that doesnt work then just say i got them for you so you can have thier fresh eggs !

OH and this is my best one " ill go home mom and post So and so for sale on criags list " and never really end up posting anything lol

Works for me but Not all parents are like mine who just luagh it off after a while

Good luck

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Just remember that if you get 2 or 20, they are a responsibility that you will have to take care of. They are really cute right now, but soon they will grow into big chickens. Do you have chickens now, I might have missed that in this thread.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:Sig line says she already has some chickens.

8. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

From a parent point of view, chickens must serve their purpose if being owned by my kids. For example, our birds are THEIR 4-H birds...my kids are primarily responsible for feeding & watering them before school, after school, and poop cleaning runs/coops, handling, bathing, exercising and playing with them.

BUT as a parent, any of their activities and responsbilities are directly overseen by me and my husband...which is where I think your parents are....they KNOW they are going to have to worry with new mouths to feed, even if they are YOURS....ya see?

I agree with previous post...make list of pros and cons, explain how your schedule will ENSURE that your parents will not have to worry one bit about the care taking and money for these birds in their LIFETIME! Have a plan for caging, cooping, and runs....who will build more space? who will pay?

Be prepared for the answer No and take it with maturity....just try your best.....good luck!

9. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

PS. Don't be pressure about how many chicks are at the feedstore...so what if they run out? Take your time (you don't want this to seem like an "impulse" buy---which may be also causing concerns for your parents...the more calm you are the better your chances! You can always order some from Ideal, McMurray, or any other hatchery.....

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Not a good example to follow in this mom's opinion. Never a good idea to lie to your parents.

Unless you are paying for their feed and pen supplies then mom and dad should have some say so over how many you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by