1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugh..mommas still sitting on some eggs but the hatched ones r all over

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    the place...i checked on them earlier but only thing is i'm concered about them going down (its a little bit of a hump) and not being able to get "back" to her...?

ALSO, if she's still sitting, does that mean she "knows" some are still going to hatch?

2. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    How long has it been since the last chick hatched? I'd candle the remaining eggs. If they are duds, I'd pull them and toss her outside with her chicks.

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I don't really know but do know they were cheeping last night that i heard...didnt see any of them so they could have just been pip'd...saw 2 this am early and have i THINK 5 total now? She is with them in her coop alone so im just hoping for the best and that they dont get lost in there or not able to get back up to her if they get down from the box she's laying in....she is still sitting on 3 that i KNOW of but i dont know what going on/if there pip'd or not?

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    and thank you for your help!!!

5. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Oh, well, if she's got the full run of the coop alone with her babies and the eggs are just a few days off of each other then let her be. Just give the babies some kind of hopping platforms to get to mom if needed. You'd be amazed at how high a chick can jump!

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'd pull the unhatched eggs so she'll care for the chicks. Most of the time the momma hen will abandon the eggs to care for the chicks on her own, but my BO let three chicks starve/dehydrate to death because she wouldn't give up on the two dud eggs that were still in the nest. I was working a lot of overtime and wasn't getting home until after the birds were bedded down for the night and thought that the new family was just returning to the nest at bedtime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by