Ugh! More questions!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by AMBene, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AMBene

AMBene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    Getting paranoid reading the forum![​IMG]

Here are my latest questions:

First regarding feed: I know to use game bird starter then grower when out of the brooder, yes? Any recommendations regarding brands. I buy my layer feed from the feed store. I am not sure if they carry game bird food, but if they don't carry what they need, either I or they will order it.

Next: Cage placement: Is ~ 32 feet along the same fence line of my chicken yard/coop that is covered with shade cloth and escape proof, far enough away from the chickens? Second, can the pen be shaded a good part of the day?

As always, I value your experience and wisdom. Why make the same mistake that others have made when I can make my own! [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

As far as I know all feed stores carry or can carry 'game bird feed' I would look up the ingredients and pick the best I could afford.

If the chickens cannot reach in I think it would be ok- you might want to keep the chickens from being able to perch on it too.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:Not all feed stores carry it. TSC claims to carry it, but would you really want to buy little 5 pound bags? I can't imagine myself carrying 100 bags out . They don't spread coryza by grabbing them, it can be transfered through the air, droppings, and through feeders or waterers.

5. AMBene

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    The chicken run is 7 feet wide x 6 feet high. ~ 3 1/2 feet has a 4 foot high fence in front of it. The other is open. My chickens stay in their run. It is 16 feet long with a 4 x 6 feet coop attached. I have a bed of sand and then pine straw on top of that. They will not get any closer than the 32 feet to the quail cages. If they won't work, and I want to do what is best. I have some major rethinking bout cage placement. The other side of the yard which is ~ 140 feet way with the house between sits very low. And come the rainy season, I would have to wade to it. (Not quite, but almost). That side of the can have standing water several inches deep for a week or so. Don't want to fill it because it is a natural run of and keeps the rest of the yard high and dry.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Your first set up will work, if you want to you can put a piece of osb in front of the cage to act as a barrier.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    So Long As They Are Out Of Droplet Spread Range You're Fine. 10 Ft Is Sufficient Or A Solid Barrier. Also Dont Forget To Use Biologic Isolation Or You Can Be The Mode Of Transmission, So Wash Hands Between The 2 And If You Can Start With Your Game Birds Then Work Your Way To The Chickens (cleanest To Dirtiest)

8. AMBene

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    Dunce here...what is osb?

JJ...Cleanest to dirtiest I can understand. That works for me. Now...My quail cage will be about 6 feet from my rabbits outdoor run. Any problem there?

and the shade? any issue there?

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    The rabbits won't be a problem, but if they are in the shade make sure there is 14 hours of light. OSB is wood scraps glued together to make a sheet. It is the cheapest kind of wood, it should last about 2 years outdoors. Then again I always get the good out of things...

10. Fishman43

Fishman43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Durham
    osb = Orient Strand Board

similar to plywood, looks like it is made out of larger wood chips and is much cheaper then plywood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by