Ugh! My doe kindled ONE and has stopped for HOURS now...

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
This happened to me before, but not quite like this. Last time I had a doe stop her kindling process it was because she was interrupted by a noisy neighbor who stopped by our house at night.
Before i went to bed I checked and realized she had made a nest, had one on the wire and had stopped. It was around 9pm and I put the kit on the nest, checked her a couple more times and went to sleep. In the morning I found she had kindled 6 kits. Most survived.

I have a first timer whom was due tomorrow (day 31) although I thought yesterday when I let her out to play that she looked pretty ready to kindle (she did not have a nest ready but looked like she was going to pop)...

I put everything in place (cleaned the nesting box etc) and went back this morning 7am to check her. There was a kit on the floor of her nest and she was outside the nest in her normal resting position.

I put the kit inside the nest and left. I have been checking her every two hours and nothing. It is already 2pm
hmm.png
and nothing. Her kindling cage is very dark. I can feel and see the babies move as much as I did last night. None is stuck... of course she has not touched her food or water but is not in labor meaning she's in her resting position.

Is she waiting for it to be darker? Has anyone had this happen to them?

This time around she's the only one kindling so I am not taking the kit inside or anything because it can't be adopted by another doe (won't do this ever again... it was a scheduling mistake I had never donde before). My next pair of does kindling will do it in two weeks...

Back
Top Bottom