Ugh my girlfriends horse had to be shot this morning.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by first time farmer, Apr 11, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    So this morning was really bad. My girlfriend called me at 4 and told me that her horse was just attacked my a cyote( her horse is a little 32year old appy that has been very weak for about a month) So i went over there and her and her mom were crying so i called the vet(her vet and my vet are the same vet) and told her what happend and he told me that he would come out and put her down. Or if she was suffering we could put her down ourselves. Well my girlfriend decided to do it our selves because because the horse was suffering alot. So i got the gun from my truck and well you know. Sorry if this was graphic but i needed to vent and i figured yall would understand

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You did what you had to do. Now go do the second part of your job
    and give her some love, let her cry, and let her talk about it. A nice
    walk may help to if she feels up to it.

3. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:PC is right let her know you love her and that you care.

4. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    What a total bummer. I lost a horse to colic three weeks ago so I have a pretty good idea how you feel--at least I didn't have to put mine down myself........you did the right thing. What a lousy way to lose a horse.....

5. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    Strange for a yote to attack a horse, I would look more towards feral dogs or strays.
    Sorry about the horse, but you did the right thing, though hard to do.
    I would sit out tonight where it happened and see what comes around, and keep an eye on the rest of your livestock.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It wouldn't be surprising for coyotes to go for a horse that was down, or weebly on its feet, as a 32 yr old doing poorly might be.

I'm so sorry for you and your girlfriend and her horse, but it speaks very well for you that you went ahead and did the right thing, even though it's hard.

Hang in there,

Pat

7. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    [​IMG], you did the right thing, and it is never easy putting a beloved pet to "sleep" .... your girlfriend will need time to grieve over her lost pet.....

8. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

So sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

9. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    That does hurt! My horse too was 38 when we had to put him down. I had him for years. My DH cannot shoot any of our pets. He does not want to be associated with the final outcome. We have the vet to the deed. You are a strong person. And strong enough to do what PC recommended too, I'm sure. So give her some lovin [​IMG]

10. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Wow. I am so sorry. You absolutely did the right thing as hard as it was. If the horse is suffering then it is up to us to take action.

I don't know about coyote vs dogs but whatever it was I might just see if it comes back. I think animal control can set a trap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by