UGH!!!!! Need Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FirstTimer, Dec 3, 2009.

1. FirstTimer

FirstTimer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    I Have To Temperature Readers And They Are Giving Me Diffrent Readings!!!

One says 102 (stick) (where its supposed to be if im not mistaken on an Still-Air Incubator)

And The other one (electric) says 106

I Dont Know Which One To Follow And it makes me frustrated that they dont read the same

2. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    I had the same problem, so I put a small jar of warm water in the incubator and let it sit over night. Then I took the temperature with an oral thermometer. (Okay, it was really my kids' old rectal thermometer, but I cleaned it!) I figure those are much more accurate, especially since you can read fractions of a degree off of them. Plus, with kids, I had a bunch floating around so I could triple check.

As a note, the smaller the jar of water, the quicker it cools off, so have everything ready to go when you want to test it.

3. FirstTimer

FirstTimer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2009
    so basically have a shot-glass full of water and check it with a thermometer?

EDIT : Would the Temperature be different then the actual temperature needed?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    if the thermometers go to 212, you could check them in boiling water...assuming you correct for any altitude change.

5. Haleth

Haleth Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Southern California
    The temperature of the water should reflect the interior temperature of the eggs and the real temp of the incubator. My digital thermometer fluctuated with airflow, but I had a fan going in mine, so it'd swing between 99 and 102. A shot glass should work.

6. ftwchopper

ftwchopper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    woodstock connecticut
    a glass of ice water chould be 32 degrees.this is how most thermometer companys tell you to calibrate the thermometer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by