Ugh no eggs yet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheeky Chick, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I have 11 hens-mix of breeds (RIR, BR, RP, BCM, EE) they are just about 20 weeks old (except for the Marans that are almost a year) and Nobody is laying anything. The Marans laid 1 egg each when they arrived (about 2 months ago) then had a moult, so no eggs since then. Now the little girls are all grown up, and nothing. They normally free range, but since much of my yard is heavy brush and woods, I have been keeping them in their pen for the last week (I figured they may have been laying somewhere else) and nothing. They get layer feed, scratch, vegetables/fruits and oyster shell calcium.

I love them and all-but heck, we got chickens in the first place for some eggs! What could I be doing wrong?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Put a fake egg or golf balls in the nest , they will get the idea!. Can you keep them in the pen? You said they free range, and I am sure they are laying eggs somewhere else ! Keep them locked up in pen for a week you will have lots of eggs! what youre feeding them is fine. its the free ranging is the problem !!

3. Cheeky Chick

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah, I've kept them penned for a week now, and still nothing. [​IMG] They're all big and happy, eating well, just not doing anything in the egg department. I have golfballs in the nestboxes, but maybe I should try something more egg-shaped? I'm really really surprised at the production red-she's looked like a full grown hen for probably 4 weeks now.

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    ages varies when they lay their first egg.

5. PeachygirlGA

PeachygirlGA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Fort Valley, GA
    Mine started laying at 26 weeks! I'm still waiting on 2 little ones that are about 20 weeks. Patience, my friend!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Be careful they don't get so much scratch and veggies that it reduces their total protein intake; most scratch formulas are largely corn and much lower in protein than layer.

The golf balls should be fine. It's what I use -- and so do a whole lot of other folks on here. I've watched broody hens turn them and tuck them underneath themselves oh so gently, just like eggs.

Really, 20 weeks is a general starting point. I've had an odd one start around 18 weeks but most started after 20 weeks -- and mine are all hatchery birds (or homemade mixes) which often lay a little earlier than better quality breeder birds. My EE's were the last to start, more like 26 or 28 weeks.

7. triciawhite

triciawhite Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    well, I am having the same problem you are!! My hens are 32 weeks old and they are not laying either!!! I am stumped about this too. I have also placed golf balls in the nesting boxes, and tried locking them up in the coup untill noon!!! I was told they like to lay their eggs between early morning and noon. I have even placed a video camera to see if they are eating their eggs, and they are not. I checked their vents and no sign of egg laying. if I cain't have eggs for breakfast, at least I can have dinner!!!!!

8. jahphotogal

jahphotogal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    CT
    We're waiting here too - oldest three (all Wyandottes) are 22 weeks or so. Gave them golf balls today. They do free range quite a bit including into spots I can't get to, so it's possible they're already laying. I'll keep them in for a few days and see what happens!

9. Cheeky Chick

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Maybe you guys are right-I'll wait for the little girls to start-BUT-what about my 3BCM's that haven't laid in 2 months? I'm certain their molt is over. [​IMG]

Nobody wants to give up those eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by