1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ugh...now what??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stronggirl, Oct 5, 2012.

1. stronggirl

stronggirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    My flock of 18 have been free ranging since they were fully feathered...so about 4 months. We have 13 acres and neighbors on both sides but at a considerable distance. Originally the chickens stuck close to home and basically did "rounds" around the house. They have definitely expanded their horizons! They have now ventured over to the neighbor's home...and unfortunately got comfortable pooping on their entryway. They didn't mind them venturing over for awhile-but the porch entry got to be a little much. They were also afraid one of their dogs might consider them a fun toy-which they would feel terrible about! Don't know why they wont head toward the back of our land instead of venturing to the neighbors. I really hate the thought of fencing them, but it doesn't seem there are too many other options. Anyone have any other ideas that haven't all ready been posted? I live in hostage NY so my thought is with winter weather, they wont venture as far. Our neighbors are good people and we surely don't want them getting upset.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Take over some eggs as a peace offering. [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you have 13 acres, containing them on your property really isn't "fencing them in", as they'll still have lots of room. But you need to fence them so they stay off the neighbor's property. They're strong creatures of habit and won't just change. You wouldn't let your dogs roam your neighbor's place, accept the same responsibility for your birds. Please.

4. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I agree with this entirely. You have so much space, that you should be able to fence off a nice big yard for them that could simulate "free range" better than most people could ever hope to do.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I have 3 acres and my back yard is fenced, about 20,000sf for the chickens to run around in. The rest of my property is woods, not exactly where I want my chickens going. Too many predators out there I can't keep away.

6. stronggirl

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks...the neighbors get all the eggs they could wish for! As the chickens were growing, he would come over about once a week and ask if we had eggs yet! Don't think we would have had an issue if they didn't poop! In any case we have a small fenced in area outside of their coop from when we were introducing them to the great outdoors that we will contain them in for now until we figure something better out.I will most likely still give them some freedom daily when they can be watched. You would think with all this land they would leave the neighbors place alone! I am very responsible with these girls and this was the first time the neighbors brought a concern-the statement about dogs roaming free did bring me a different perspective, so thank you for that. And yes, I think it is time for another peace offering...and maybe an apple pie.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We have a very similar situation. Once the birds get used to making pattern that includes the neighbors, they're done. I cannot have them on someone else's property. Not only will they poop over there, they will scratch up their flower beds, eat their flowers and all the other stuff chickens do.

I'd suggest a moveable tractor, or moveable electric netting. You'll give them all the benefits of pasturing with the added plus of containment. There's really no other way.

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    well if there are dogs that could harm them they need safety anyways. maybe you could fence in one acre if possible.

9. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I have 18 hens fenced in to 1/3 acre. There are fruit trees and shrubs in their yard, as well as a bunch of compost bins, so there is plenty of forage for fun, and cover to help protect against predators. It's not as fun for the chickens as true free ranging but it's pretty darn close, and much better than the typical sized run. I used to let them free range, but one wondered into a fox's mouth and another into a dog's mouth. A fenced in yard is a good compromise.

10. stronggirl

Sep 10, 2012
    So far so good but not for long! They are contained in a small fenced area attached to the coop. Afew times since my original post a couple have flown over the fence but have stuck close to home. I will be exchanging some fencing tonight as I just cant let them hang out in that small space. We may eventually run the fencing along the property line and see how they do...hard to keep them in this small space when they hv had the adventures of mulberry trees, my gardens, and clover (but also of course, the neighbor's porch!!) :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by