Ugh PLEASE HELP.. found a poor cold baby in the coop..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hd_darcy, Jun 2, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I feel so terrible for not checking on my babies more today. I checked on them this morning and then didn't get out there until 5:00 tonight. There was one that was stuck inbetween the door, and the jam about half-dead and COLD as ever (she's less than a week old). I brought her in, and have put her in my brooder (separating it from my other chick). Is there anything else I can do for him/her. He's laying there very lifeless still [​IMG] But still breathing and has tried to stand a couple of times.

Thank you!

2. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    you maybe should give her some dropper-fulls of water. With electrolytes if you can.

she is probalby quite dehydrated.

Other than that, keeping her warm and quiet sounds like a good plan. poor baby!

3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    You can also give her Polyvisol without iron (liquid vitamin drops for infants you can get at the pharmacy). The electrolytes, vitamins, and rest should do the trick.

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm thrilled to report that the baby came to life 100%!! [​IMG] It took awhile though... I brought her in at 5:30, and maybe about 8:30 she was up and acting normal, and then the chirping began NON-STOP. So, I just took her back out to mom at 9:30. But I first tried to mark her w/ a sharpie so she doesn't get lost w/ her siblings. She's one of ten.

Thanks for the help!!

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    YaHoo!!!!! Congrats!!! Pictures?!?!?!? [​IMG]

6. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    o so nice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by