Ugh. Poor dog.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Jul 15, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Neighbor's pit bull was in our yard chasing my ducks again today. Last summer, it killed my goose and one of my ducks. Year before that, two ducks. I caught it in time today and chased it off, locked the ducks in. Then I went storming down to the neighbor's, while on the phone with animal control. Dog had run home and was standing in their front yard.

Nobody's there.

Dog's watching me. She's obviously wary but not aggressive. In fact, her body language says downright submissive. I relax my body and drop my hand, look over the top of her head. She comes over and snuffles. I look down. Suddenly we're friends. She's grateful.

She lives in a kennel the size of my ducks's nighttime pen--10 by 10. Never, ever comes out unless she escapes. No walks. No affection. No life outside the chain link. Can you blame her for trying to escape? Next door to her is the male dog they breed her to. Over and over and over. Her nails are so long that running on the pavement has pushed them into her pads and caused her to bleed. There's a bare patch on her nose. Her back sways and sags, and her teats hang halfway to the ground. Skinny. She is so grateful for a back scratch.

I want to put a stop to what they are doing to her, but I am powerless. She tries to follow me home and I have to chase her off. I have children at home. And ducks.

Animal Control comes. Nothing they can do as long as she's being fed and watered and contained. If I attest that she escapes regularly, they can eventually impound her. The pound where pit bulls are automatically put down because they are a "dangerous" breed. I can sign her death warrant. Or I can let her go on living like she does, escaping occasionally to kill my ducks.

I must remind myself that this is not my fault. But she looks at me and trusts me. I want to love everybody, but it is hard to love the people who do this to her.

Poor dog.

What would you do?

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    You don't ever have to love everyone, there are ones that just don't deserve it. I would have them impound her. She is obviously mistreated and maybe a quiet forever sleep would be better for this poor girl. That is no way to live. Love the dog and do what is best for her, within your limits.

Best of luck whatever you decide [​IMG]

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    just remember that if you have her impounded your neighbors will likely just get another dog to replace her since they are breeding them. The new replacement will probably have to endure the same conditions...wish you luck, sounds like a sad situation for the poor dog and your birds

4. GoatHouseProductions

GoatHouseProductions Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Any rescue groups in your area? They may have resources or ideas.

Totally stinks in the meantime. That's so awful, I can't imagine treating a living creature that way.

5. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

6. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Do you know anyone who wants a "stray" pit bull?? [​IMG]

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the feedback. The dog only escapes a few times per year, but it's been enough to damage my flock and scare the daylights out of me when my kids are in the back yard. My heart breaks for her, but you're absolutely right that they would just replace her with another dog to suffer. Whhhyyy?? For a couple hundred dollars per pup, that's why. It's sickening.

I know I don't have to love everyone. But the world is better--MY world is better--when I do. It doesn't mean I have to agree with what they do or approve of it or support it. It doesn't even mean I can't call them on it and insist on consequences. But we are all messed up in our own way and I try to remember my own faults and love others despite theirs. And I am better for it when I do--I mean I FEEL better for it when I do, AND I think I AM better. But sometimes it is hard.

8. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

9. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    What about the ASPCA or similar organisation (humane society?). I watch lots of those programmes on TV about these organisations and failure to seek medical attention for an animal that clearly needs it (e.g. bleeding pads due to overgrown nails) can be a crime! Does she have trouble walking too/ is she limping? At the least they could order the person to get her medical attention... At least if you knew she was taken to be rehomed you'd have peace of mind about your ducks' safety!

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by