UGH...Rain, Rain, Rain ... then Freezing...Run has puddles!! HELP!!

Terri126

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 16, 2017
Putnam Valley, New York
If anyone can suggest what else to do in a pinch with a flooded run. We went from a snow storm and freezing weather here in NY to 60 degrees with heavy raining today through tomorrow. Needless to say, flooding has occurred in my run! The girls...and my roo are trampling through mud...I have spent the last 45 minutes shoveling water out of the run and in front of the door to the run (Just took ibruprofen). Rain is not going to let up until tomorrow afternoon, at which time the temperature is going to drop below freezing!!! The chickens are tracking mud into the coop. I'm afraid there will be too much moisture in there and that their feet will get frostbite...not to mention the dirty water. Any suggestions are welcome. I thought about throwing a bunch of hay in the run, but now sure when to do it. Should I wait until tomorrow afternoon when the rain has stopped and hopefully the run has drained a bit or should I just do it now?? HELP! Don't want my chickens to get sick either. I think it's time to move more south!!!!!

Now it is like Lake Michigan...Hay will just float. I'm worried because by tomorrow we are supposed to go down into the teens and then stay there. I'm going to buy the chickens ice skates... :( I'm hoping it will drain enough before it freezes so I can put the hay down. If it's just muddy I guess that's not so bad. It's the giant puddles of water in the entire run, wherever there isn't a puddle is mud. More like for a pig pen right now.

Now it is like Lake Michigan...Hay will just float. I'm worried because by tomorrow we are supposed to go down into the teens and then stay there. I'm going to buy the chickens ice skates... :( I'm hoping it will drain enough before it freezes so I can put the hay down. If it's just muddy I guess that's not so bad. It's the giant puddles of water in the entire run, wherever there isn't a puddle is mud. More like for a pig pen right now.

Get to TSC and get some pine shavings or flakes. Or see about sawdust... something that will soak up the water. You definitely don't want puddles left in your run to freeze over or your chickens feet to get wet and freeze either.

Can you trench to drain some water out? It's not the time to really fix those drainage issues, but something?
Then add shavings or whatever until the mulch/litter level is above the water. Or keep them in their coop for now.
For later; fixing drainage, and roofing the run!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom