1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UGH.....Rooster crowing at 3:30am!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TennesseeTruly, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I love our rooster Ricky, honestly I do but why oh why was he crowing at 3:30am???

I usually wake up with a huge smile on my face at 5:30am when he starts so when I rolled over and looked at the clock and it was 3:30am....well...the smile quickly went away.

Anyone know why he may have started crowing at such a strange hour?

Laurie

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    My roo does it AT that time because his heating light is still on n the coop=or something woke him up and startled him..in my experience

3. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    could be warning the others that someone/something is trying to get into the coop!! they are the best burgalar alarms![​IMG]

4. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I told my husband that I thought something must have scared him. He's never done it before. He stopped after about 15 minutes but of course, he woke me up so I'm up for the day. LOL

I love listening to him crow. I'm a city girl who only went country 6 months ago so I love it. Only I didn't love it at 3:30am this morning!! LOL

Thanks for answering!

Laurie

5. slickchick

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    I know what you mean about loving the sound! I just brought home an 11 week old lav roo last Thursday. I put him in with my 9 week olds(which weren't crowing yet). The next morning, I almost couldn't believe my ears when I heard him crowing!!!! I just stood there in awe for a minute...my husband thinks I'm nuts! [​IMG]

6. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Mine do that sometimes. I don't even notice early crows anymore! The only thing that will wake me up now is if they are all running amuck! Then I know there is a problem. After a while it won't wake you up anymore![​IMG]

7. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Mine start about midnight.
    if they can see, whether its artificial light or a bright moon, they crow.
    I seem to noitice them crowing at odd hours more when the moon is half through full.
    you will get used to it and not hear it anymore. its just going to take a little while.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  8. TennesseeTruly

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Ricky got dumped on us about 2 months ago. I'm so glad he was!!!! Of course all my friends and family from NY think I'm nuts but I love listening to him crow!

Laurie

9. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Mine start at 3:07 central standard time every morning. [​IMG] No joke. I'm used to it now but I have a roo in the house being doctered on and man is that load. He will be O.K. just missing some feathers. I'm feeding him cat food along with his feed for the extra protein. Them there feathers need to hurry up and grow. [​IMG]

10. slickchick

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by