ugh! rooster has no interest in the girls!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stumble_n_mumble, Aug 20, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Hello, well i have this issue. My rooster is around 5 months old and has been crowing for over a month now and is doing his little dance. I have not caught him in the act with the hens or have herd them yelling because they have never been with a rooster before so i would imagine there would be some ruckus the first little while. anyway, i keep my 3 hens,rooster, 3 ducks, and drake all together and well.... my rooster only does his job to the boy duck! ....... why is this going on?! when i let them all out to free range this morning he did it right in front of me so i grabbed him lol. idk what to do... my drake has a missing toe and his leg was broken at one point (he was like this when i rescued him) he hobbles and is very healthy. i already had him checked out by the vet and everything is healed. so i feel bad when the drake cant get away and the rooster grabs him..... so awkward lol.

2. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Your rooster seems to have some serious issues. Not only is he interested in boys instead of girls, he is crossing species lines. LOL! I don't know the answer, but he sounds like one badly confused roo. Hope that as he matures, he will come around and see what his true purpose is---to mate with HENS, not drakes.

It's possible that the hens are not submitting to him, and he is forced into this aberrant and antisocial behavior.

I suggest counseling.

LOL. Please don't take offense. I couldn't resist! [​IMG]

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    He's confused

[​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    He's still very young and it is going to take some time for him to get the hang of things and how to woo the hens. Don't worry - there are no homosexual animals.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow Texasgal...THAT picture brought back memories...lol I think your roo will figure it out soon enough... [​IMG]

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:"Do you really want to huuuuuuurt me"

7. TsaLaGi Acres

TsaLaGi Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

He'll get straightened out as to who and what to do, he's young and probably see's your drake as 'easy prey' to practice on.

Edited to add : you might want to remove/seperate your poor drake from the situation since he's had broken bones, I'm sure the weight of the rooster bouncing on his back is not going to help him. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  8. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    lol! thanks for all the funny replies! idk what to do. if i separate the young drake he freaks out. i just let everyone free range together. the drake is only around maybe 4 months old lol.. i feel bad he had his leg broken but its healed and now hes getting raped by a rooster. oh how nice. lol. i just have to watch him...... he is only a silkie so he is not large at all and i just want him to mate with the other silkies so i can get pretty babies! lol

9. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Quote:I'm no chicken expert, but when I was a kid I lived near two male dogs that only had eyes for each other [​IMG]

According to Wikipedia the rates of homosexuality in animals are pretty similar to humans. I just read that mallards have an unusually high rate of homosexual behavior (~20%!). I'd guess it's consensual.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_displaying_homosexual_behavior

<3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by