UGH! She's killing them.... hope this will work, advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chikadeedoodah, May 16, 2010.

1. chikadeedoodah

chikadeedoodah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    Well the 21st day came and went (yesterday) for my black australoup. I checked on her and found some broken eggs shells around her nest but no peeping, and upon further investigation some masses of stuff.... [​IMG] She's eating these eggs as they open. So horrible! So hubby took care of the two babies, and now we have this clutch of eggs that are due any minute now. We kicked her off her nest and she immediately tried to attack another brood and her babies. Soooooo, I have her in lockdown (dog crate with food and water) until she can cool her jets. So, I don't know what happened there, the first clutch hatched and integrated without incident.

I happened to have another broody (she's my backup plan because she wasn't sitting on any eggs). So, I put all of this retarded mama's eggs under her. They are due any minute, but switching them under another hen is there any chance at all these little guys will make it? This one has been broody for about 2 weeks and I left her that way as a backup plan that I'd hoped I wouldn't need. I'm bummed about this hen and what she did but hoping beyond hope we can get at least a chick or two saved out of this clutch.

Thanks for listening/reading, and hopefully someone has some advice. [​IMG]

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Oh, I'm sorry. That's awful.

When you mention a "first clutch" do you mean this particular hen's clutch, or another one?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think there is a great chance. Good luck!!!

As for the bad one, I'd break her from being broody and never allow her another chance at parenthood. Her broody intincts just are not quite right. I don't know how you manage your flock, but I can be pretty cold and ruthless. Since those broody instincts are inherited, I'd try very hard to see that none of her offspring joined my breeding flock.

Good luck!!!

4. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks for your help! I have a Barred Rock who's a mommy right now. This black australop is off her rocker. We'll see if she'll integrate with chicks around. If not, she may end up spending some time in the dog cage, or a private run until she can figure out that she needs to play nice. So far the other eggs haven't hatched yet, but I probably won't give up until Wednesday. (Give these little guys every chance I can). At least my barred rock is an awesome mom! She should, she hatched out on Mother's Day weekend. [​IMG]

5. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Well the other eggs haven't hatched yet, and the mean mama is still in a separate run. I tried to integrate her yesterday but she started going after the little fuzz butts AGAIN. I'm not sure if this is going to be the end of the line for this chicken. I think she's off her rocker. [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I tend to agree with you. Just like a roosters, there are plenty of good hens out there. Why put up with one that is not good?

I'm losing faith in those other eggs, but here's hoping for at least one more.

7. The little farm

The little farm Out Of The Brooder

Hey there! We just got rid of a hen. We put fertile eggs under two different hens. Both mamas are doing well with their mix of chicks BUT the one crazy hen I called Taz decided she was going to "help" raise some of the chicks.She started favoring certain ones and began attacking ANY chicks or hens around her. She was as worse as having a rooster that you never knew when they were going to attack you. She killed one of the other chicks...I had enough. She was either going to be on a plate or at another home. I called and found her a new home. We now have peace in the run. All the chicks are treated well by EVERYONE and they are back to routine. Your eggs will be fine-if not better-being raised by a sane mama.My advice to you get rid of CRAZY,she will only disrupt the whole flock.Good luck keep us posted

8. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks, this morning she slipped past me and got out of lock down. We'll see how she does today. I'm going to check on her make sure I don't have any more dead babies. Until she acts up I can't tell her apart from the other black hens. That lady is nuts. We'll see if she can properly reintegrate. We may be having chicken tonight!

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If you figure out what hen it is, I'd put a leg band on her so if a chick shows up hurt you'll know which hen to pull out right away.
    Best wishes.

10. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    sounds like she was an egg eater before she went broody. Once she saw the babies beginning to hatch she just could not resist. I'm sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by