Ugh, should I keep my broody closed in or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lemuckley_flock, Jan 26, 2012.

1. lemuckley_flock

lemuckley_flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    We had a change of plans last night. :lol: Instead of putting our broody girl up by the house we changed it up. Last year we build a small grow-out coop that we cycled the chicks through. Halfway through the summer we moved it down by the big coop and started using it for feed storage, then build the new grow-out coop by the house. We decided that we'd rather have her in the small coop from last year. We strawed the bottom well and put a box in there for her, along with water and feed. After dark last night we moved her and her fake eggs over and surprisingly, she settled right down!! I checked on her twice last night (just peeked through the vent and didn't disturb her) and she looked cozy and content.

The coop is raised about 18 inches from the ground and has a ramp that goes up through to the center of the floor. I put mesh wire over it last night to keep her in. Our intention was to open it and let her eat and drink with the rest of the chickens as she's very near the big coop. This morning, however, I'm second guessing....my fear is that she'll go out, see the big coop, and want to jump right back in the nesting box.

The small coop is about 2.5 feet wide and 6 feet long. If she has feed and water, and aside from her box the floor is straw, do you think she'd be ok if I kept the coop closed for a few days so she decided she wants to stay on that nest? We're putting the real eggs in tomorrow, so I want to make sure she'll stay put on them, kwim?

Gah, I'm freaking out, lol!!

2. lemuckley_flock

lemuckley_flock Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Got my answer this morning when I went out to do chores. When I got down there she got off the nest and wanted out, so I let her out while I fed and watered. She pooped, then ate a bunch of food and got a huge drink, then went straight to the big coop and jumped in her box. I immediately picked her up and carried her to the small coop and put her back near the nest with the fake eggs and she promptly sat down on them and hunkered down contently. I believe that for the next few days at least I'm just going to keep her closed in. She has food and water, and can poop on the straw if needed. I'll give her the option to come out for a few minutes when I do morning and evening chores, but only while I'm out there and only for a few minutes, so I can plunk her right back in the nest. Silly girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by