Ugh. Show birds with lice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audy5000g, Jun 15, 2016.

1. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    So we found lice and a ton on my daughters show rooster. Some on other birds too. Arg

Here is what I did. Based on what you all said and what I had. I filled a tub with diatamatious earth. Then treated each bird with a dust I had. Then bathed it in the DE. Then sprayed frontline under the wings, by vent and back neck. Then put dust on shanks and feet and covered in Vaseline. I think they may have mites as well. Took an hour and half. Phew

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Just so you know, DE does not work to get rid of an active lice or mite infestation. It can work as a preventative, but to kill ones they already have, you need something like Sevin dust if you want to dust them. You also need to repeat the treatment in seven days to kill all that will have hatched, since the treatments only kill adult lice and mites and not eggs. You may even want to repeat a third time to be safe.

You also need to treat the coop, especially if you suspect mites, because that's where they live. You need to clean it all out, dust it with Sevin everywhere, and repeat again in seven days to kill all that will have hatched. Again you may want to do a third treatment too.

With frontline dusting the birds may not be necessary, I'm not sure, I've never used frontline on my birds.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks. My hubby brought home 7 dust. I plan to wash birds tomorrow and then treat them with the dust. I hate using it. But desperate. How can I get eggs off the feathers?

4. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    How do I get the eggs off this roo

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You really can't, they're pretty well hardened on there. Unfortunately you kind of just have to let them hatch and then treat to kill the hatchlings.

6. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    So what your saying is I can't take the bird to show?

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That'd be more a question for someone who shows. I don't know what would happen if you took a bird with lice to show. Although I'm pretty sure it'd be frowned upon because lice are, of course, contagious.

Here are some suggestions I found to remove the eggs : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/450789/how-can-you-remove-lice-eggs

I really wouldn't take it to show until after it's treated, though. Exposing other people's birds to lice and possibly mites really isn't a good thing to do.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  8. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Well of course.

9. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

When's the show? I would say allow three weeks before you're 100% sure it's clear of lice/mites and by that time all the eggs on it will have hatched and will be gone anyway.

10. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    We decided it's just not smart or safe to try to take her bird. We are gonna take a different bird for her. Same breed just different variety. So she should be ok.

Still a bummer as this other rooster is hen pecked around the neck. I only know cause kids see the hen remove his feathers through the cage.

I put up a barrier but little to late now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by