1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ugh some one laid in the run, please help me figure out the guilty chicken.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nakstk, Sep 12, 2012.

1. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I went out to talk with my girls yesterday evening and there was an egg in the run. None of my 5 SS hens have ever laid in the run before. The egg was a very light brown and it looks like it could be one of theirs but I have three 20 week old pullets that may have laid it. 2 are Wellies and the other is and EE. I would be so disappointed if it was my EE, I am really hoping she will lay me colored eggs. She has a pea comb and green legs but I know that those don't make it a guarantee on colored eggs. Her face has just started to turn red so I am really hoping it wasn't her. I know Wellies lay dark eggs and I am pretty sure I got one from them in the nest box the other day.
    The egg was laid in their dust bath hole. Maybe someone was in the nest box and who ever laid it Really had to lay their egg.
    Has anyone every have a hen change their laying spot after 10 months of laying in the nest box? Or could my EE be laying brown eggs too? [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

It happens. My girls usually lay in the nest box but once in a while I find a stray egg. And yes, some ee's lay light brown or cream colored eggs, mine does.

3. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I guess and egg is an egg right. I shouldn't be disappointed as long as they are all healthy and laying. I am still holding out hope it was not my EE's egg. I am hoping 20 weeks is still too young for her to lay. [​IMG]

4. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I am thinking it was one of my SS hens that laid in the run. After taking photos of my girls today I can see that Gretta's face isn't red enough for it to be her. I think she still has a few more weeks until she starts laying.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by