Ugh. Something always happens around the holiday season.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kaitie09, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    It seems like something always happens with the animals around the holiday season. A few years ago on Christmas Day, our one cat came back with a HUGE swollen paw. We called the vet and they told us to wait a few days sand see what happens. It ended up that she got caught in a fox trap, which fractured her paw. The paw just kept getting bigger and when we finally took her in 3 days later, it was too late and the paw was dying off. We had to get that foot amputated.

Last night, our other cat came home and was limping a bit, although that was nothing new and we did not think too much about it. Today, his foot ballooned up and was hot. We immediately called our vet and went in this time. She ended up finding a wound that looks like he too got caught in a trap, but this did not break anything. Luckily we noticed early and took action instead of waiting it out. He's now in "Kitty Prison" (indoors only) for 7 days while he is on antibiotics and gets foot massages all day.

We're calling the neighbor who owns the farm and letting them know what happened. They stopped trapping when we told them about out cat a few years ago, but they must have started back up. We have a really good relationship with them so we're only going to ask that they at least give us a heads up when they are trapping, as we only have a couple cats that like to roam in that area and we'll just keep them in for a bit.

We had to stop in the middle of make pumpkin pies and pumpkin rolls in order to rush him to the vet, but they are only open on Wednesdays and Fridays, and we did not want to wait that long.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your cat. Its tough to see our animals hurt.

Hope the rest of your holiday is going well!

3. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I know what you mean.
    We just lost our cat about a week ago to (we assume) coyotes.
    I'm not a cat person, but I adored that cat, he was the best cat any of us have ever had.
    He loved the dogs, he would help us babysit our most difficult client

by wrestling with her (full on, rolling on the ground, wrestling) and he used to sunbathe with the chickens.
    He was an amazing mouser too. The day after he disappeared we had mice in our chicken coop, first time ever.
    Definitely never going to be able to replace him.
    Unfortunately we will just have to move on.
    On the bright side, I think owning all the pets I have has really taught me how to cope and handle loss.
    It's not going to debilitate me for days like it used to.

Anyways, I feel your pain, it must be a holiday curse, [​IMG]
    this is definitely not our first Christmas with stuff like this happening and it's not the worst.

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I'm sorry about your cat PoultryPower.

He seems to be looking better, and I think this may have made him a house cat. His swelling is all gone but he is still holding the foot a bit. As of last Wed. he has been allowed to go back outside, but he seems to only go out after a couple hours and then wants right back in. this guy is always getting into trouble. He has fallen off our balcony twice, fell down a two story house after trying to jump through the kitchen window from a porch, and has stuck his face in a candle and burned all his wiskers off. He routinely rolls off the couch too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by